1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1994 heater (blower problem) extended diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 PM
killerelfboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1994 heater (blower problem) extended diagnosis

ok i sat in my car and tried to get all the info on my heater kicking off. Maybe this thread can serve as use for other people as i have a lot of info

I sat in park at a store.

Turned heater on, blew hot and only blows on HIGH setting (turn it down, it turns off for good)
It eventually lowered steadily to a pulse, then was just "leaking" air as people say.
i saw this and know that if sometimes i hit a bump it will turn on, so i gave it a healthy push on the gas pedal. This made it come back to normal, BUT eventually it died down again like it did before.

If i turn it on the car and the heater is all ready on and it doesnt actually come on, I sometimes will punch the top of my dash right on top of the radio and this has worked a few times. Also hitting a bump has gotten it to kick on.

If i move the **** to low or med, it will turn off and not come back on if i put it back to HIGH setting.

sometimes it will come on automatically with the car like it should if left on a setting for heat, vent, etc

I notice that in cold weather it really does not want to start, and this is gonna be dangerous as this means the defrost wont come on. I made it through last winter cuz it didnt snow but i think i screwed this time.

Does anyone else have symptoms similar to this or know what the problem is? If so what should i tell the mechanic or is this something my friend and i can figure out? I dont wanna go to them and have them just replace everything they can and charge me out the wazoo so I'd like to know what I'm looking at first.

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks for any help guys

Old 12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Default RE: 1994 heater (blower problem) extended diagnosis

I went out today and started her up.

i had my hood popped and tried to turn on my heater to the VENT setting, no response as usual so i went out to the engine

I found the blower motor and gave it a tap with my knuckle, then the blower kicked on. It died down eventually but i gave a much harder knock after that and it came back on again for a little bit.

I hope this info helps any. I could only find one wire plugged into the blower thing, it was on the bottom of that black circle piece, my haynes manual shows a bunch of wires for the resistor but i dont see them, not even a port for them, just that one wire.

Any ideas?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 PM

bump for lenghty post?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

To me it sounds like the blower motor needs to be replaced. Maybe make sure that the ground wire for the blower motor housing is clean, as well as the singel power wire lead for the blower. Make a trip to a wrecker and pull a new blower motor, swap it out.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As this is an intermittent problem, sounds like you have either a loose connection somewhere (grounding of the blower motor case perhaps) or the brushes in the blower motor are just shot. That one wire, if followed, will lead you to the resistor pack, but I do not believe that the resistor pack is the problem if the blower works when you hit it.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

i would agree that it sounds like the blower motor is being ground out or the brushes r bad i would say check ur wires again and change the brushes since theyre cheap then see what u get from there

Old 01-11-2008, 12:44 PM

yea, i just bought a new blower, put it in, and it seems to work, i turned it on and off a few times and it seemed to come on fine, the vent switch is a little slow tho since before putting the motor in i attempted to switch the actual heater switch piece, i think puling it out might have messed it up, but i just plugged the new one in and i dont think it really made a difference, it was ten bucks so screw it. seems to go on and off like its supposed to so im not worried about only having a high setting

but yea let it be known now, if you need to tap it, the problem is almost certainly needed a new blower motor. my connections were fine cuz that sucker was a bitch to take out