1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4.3W CPI spider solenoid test?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM
GEOD998 is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3W CPI spider solenoid test?

I have a 93 Jimmy 4.3W that has been sitting for many years. Will not start, but will run on ether or gas sprayed into plenum. Changed fuel tank, sending unit and fuel pump assembly, fuel filter. Now I'm getting 60PSI at the shrader and fuel to and from the spider block supply and return . Pulled plenum- no spider or line leaks -amazingly, all lines are actually very flexible. The Noid light says I have good electric pulse to injector,but no fuel to the poppets. What should the solenoid do when powered up? Should I just hear a click,or should I be able to feel a noticeable movement..like other solenoids? Should movement be visable thru the holes the fuel lines were in?I can see the plunger. I never had one of these out before so I need a point of reference. I'm thinking there may be some crud in there jamming up the works. I searched the forum but couldnt find any info on this. Any help would be appreciated

Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Have a look into the wire connector that snaps onto the spider. It has a blue and red wires, there should be a black rubber gromet on the plug that holds it tight and steady, these erode away after time... If the plug flops a little replace it. Also have a look up inti the plug, there is 2 tiny wires in each side thin as hairs, these should be parallell to one another, if they arent, replace the plug. This plug is a problem part, and the 8 dollar replacement will have a silicone gromet not yucky rubber like the old one. You will notice the new one fits to german torque-spec... Goodentite.

IMO this plug should come with the spider assembly kits

Also, most part stores seem to be unable to find this part for a 4.3, so just as for the one for a 5.7, its the same part

What plugner? I think you are thinking of the round thing on the pass side? Thats a fuel pressure regulator. As for the clicking... Not sure, but you will hear it spray a half secong priming pulse when turned on.

Last edited by ohsofly; 11-04-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 AM

@ohsofly- thanks for the response. I have checked the connector you're speaking of using my noid tester for GM TBI and I have good power/pulse there. BTW,The "plunger "I thought I was seeing was actually the fuel inj solenoid in the housing that sits vertically in the plastic housing, not the regulator which attaches horizonally on the right side. I remember reading about an electrical test for that a while back,but cant find it now that I need it. Its beyond me why someone doesnt make a spider rebuild kit-or better yet-individual pieces to rebuild it. Its not a complicated unit at all,esp if compared to rebuilding a carb. I dont see how the housing would ever go bad,so its either the lines with poppets,the solenoid(which appears to be the same MAXI-injector as TBI ,and many others internally,but its set into a different casing depending on app)or an O-ring or screen. None of these bits are any more difficult to change out than the fpr, so most fixes could be done for less than $100! But I digress... can anyone help me in finding the electrical tests for the inj solenoid?-I'm not having any luck-Thanx again

Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 AM

was so busy ranting ,I forgot to ask...has anyone ever taken one of the aforementioned injector solenoids apart? just for ****es and giggles of course I'm not sure if the inner and outer pieces are crimped together(press).or if a special wrench/socket would be needed to unscrew the internal "important" parts from the outer casing. Stuff like this just drives me nutz..in case you havent noticed