1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

89 2.8tbi not starting after new pump help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM
blazedout is on a distinguished road
Default 89 2.8tbi not starting after new pump help!!!

ok bougt this 89 2wd blazer with the 2.8l tbi in it. stop running a month ago bought is this shape. here is the problem. new fuel pump new relays blazer with turn over if i pour gas into the intaKE it will start for a sec then die. i have power to 1 of the two relays i replaced i didnt really know which was which so both have been replaced. with the key on one realy has current the other does not. this is my frist chevy and dotn really know where to go from here. did i get a bad pump? came from LMC. or is there something easy i missed

thanks
blazedout

Old 05-06-2011, 09:03 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Run a hot wire to the pump and see if it works then . Are you sure the pump isn't working ?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM

i ran a wire to the fuel pump tester on the driver side firewall. and nothing happen no fuel at all into the tbi? i hook the old pump straight to the battery and it comes on fine. so im wondering if the fuel filter is so cloged that it wont allow and fuel to flow through. i have power to the relay engine turns over fine and will start with fuel pour straight into the tbi. im gonna try the filter next anything else i should be looking at? im gonna drop the tank to and try the old pump to see if it will work.

thanks for the help

Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you removed the fuel filter to see if fuel is getting from the pump to the filter with stock wiring?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:01 AM

yes tried this last night and no luck pull the filter had someone start the truck and nothing came out of the fuel line. my next thought is to drop the tank and try the other pump next?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:54 PM

Ok so I dropped the tank hot wireed the pump in the tank its fine. Checked all the wiring they all seem fine. Ran a voltmeter. On every wire going to the pump I have power at the conector I'm just lost as to what's next. Any clues?

Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Your pump should run for a few seconds with the key in the on position (not hot wired). Do you have voltage to the pump with everything in "norma"l configuration?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:49 PM

I get 8 volts with the key on at the plug going to the sending unit I get 11-12 at the relay. The ground wire coming from the back of truck has two wires going to the sending ubit that were cut and tape by the PO I pulled the plug loose that goes from the inside of the sending unit to the pump and there are 4 prongs there. Of those 4 I get 8volts from two and nothin from the other. I hpe this makes sense I will post a pic later for better refrence.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Default update

ok been a min heres where i am now.

new pump new sending unit new oil sending unit.

getting gas to the injectors but only a drip a single drip of black liquid comes out after many cranks of the engine. took the fpr apart seals and bad need to replace it leaks fuel from there now. my question is will a fpr rebuild kit be my next move? couldi have two bad injectors that fail at the same time? i got fuel to them but nothing comeing out but a drop and its really dark fuild? is there a way to claen the injectors?

thanks in advacn

Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the injector pulse with a noid light? Maybe there is a problem with the electrical signal that isn't allowing the injectors to open?

You could try removing the injectors and putting them in a cup of strong solvent.

Quick Reply: 89 2.8tbi not starting after new pump help!!!