1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 Chevy S-10 Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Gogothal is on a distinguished road
Default 93 Chevy S-10 Help?

Hello from Jersey, I have a 93 Chevy S-10 Blazer Tahoe LT CPI 6 Cyl with over 215k miles on it and hope you guys can help with a few problems i cannot find a straight answer on:

1. Instrument Panel - Not all the lights are bright, i replaced all the bulb and the Battery Voltage and Coolant Temp Gauges can barely be seen at night.

2. Gas Gauge - Reading is way off? I recently replaced both the Fuel Sending Unit and the Fuel pump because that Gauge was reading a quarter tank more then what is had. Since i replaced it, it seems to be reading a half tank less. Every time I'm near a quarter tank or less (5 gallons of less) i go to the station and fill up, it only takes 10 gallons (give or take a gallon). I actually have to start moving before the gauge will actually start moving towards full. Also the wiring in the rear only had 2 wires connection from sending unit to truck, but there is a 3rd wire coming out from the truck body end and looks like a plug end?

3. 4wd HI - I try to get the truck to shift into 4H but it doesnt go, i checked the transfer case and is full with what seems to be trans fluid (opened top bolt stuck finger in and is level with hole). the actuator's boot under the battery is torn, can this have something to do with it?

4. Recently replaced steering column, and the steering wheel still has play in it, i can rock it back and forth a quarter turn (very loose) in either direction and it wont move the wheels, more then a quarter turn and it moves in that direction.

I have access to a mechanic (free of charge and unfortunately only has worked on cars that are not GM) and a lift. I want to get the truck working correctly or after the winter gonna junk it, i appreciate any help!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Starting Member
Maestro is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gogothal
Also the wiring in the rear only had 2 wires connection from sending unit to truck, but there is a 3rd wire coming out from the truck body end and looks like a plug end?
if its the wire im thinking of, that should be for the light for your tag

Old 10-22-2011, 03:01 AM
islanderboy91 is on a distinguished road

As far as the actuator here is a good link to the whole 4x4 system that helped me figure it all out.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...ill-help-7180/

I have the same exact blazer as you and it also has free play in the wheel....its more then likely in the gear box and not the actual steering column in itself....

Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Gogothal is on a distinguished road
Default Update

this afternoon wanted to go out to the store and behold, the battery is dead. Jumped it let it run to charge and after it charged turned it off, took key out and put volt meter to pos & neg, and pos is pulling 12.3 volts? Any ideas?

Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Gogothal
this afternoon wanted to go out to the store and behold, the battery is dead. Jumped it let it run to charge and after it charged turned it off, took key out and put volt meter to pos & neg, and pos is pulling 12.3 volts? Any ideas?
That's nominal okay. not fully charged. Doesnt really tell you anything.
What counts is that alternator is putting out 13.85 v when engine up to temp.

And if you want to check charge state.... after battery is fully charged and left a few hours with a terminal removed, voltage is between 12.2. and 12.6 volts.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Chzyrider is on a distinguished road

#1- Sounds like a ground issue. Check all connections.
#2- The old float was probably sticking, and the new one may be flooding/sinking... assuming the float rod was not bent or damaged during installation. Or perhaps incorrect part, or for size of tank.
#3- Yes. The actuator is vacuum operated. You should hear the vacuum leak when doing so. The switch under the 4x4 lever signals the solenoid inside the actuator to allow vacuum flow pulling the cable and engaging the front differential when the lever inside is set to 4hi or 4lo. The lever linkage manually engages the transfer case to send power through the front driveshaft. If you have cruise control, it looks similar to that unit.
#4- That sounds more like the steering gear-box, and replacing the column may not have been needed. Minor play from wear can be adjusted, but from what you described it probably needs rebuilt or replaced. Likely the pitman arm and tie-rod parts may be prematurely worn from it also.