1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94' Jimmy idles rough the warmer it gets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

yea im gonna pick one up in the morning and check the fuel pressure. I wonder what the chances of a poppet cracking or something like that are?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Prolly pretty slim, all 6 of mine sprayed on the old spider i took out... Pull that plenem off too, it only takes 5 min to get it off, then you can have a good look at the fuel system while you got the pressure on.

Heres the tool I got for 50 bones

And lastly, take a look at this for a laugh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHUUD...eature=related

Last edited by ohsofly; 02-02-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Autozone rents one I do believe.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Default I checked the fuel pressure...

I checked the fuel pressure and when i turned the key on it shot up to 80psi and when i shut it off it bled down to 55psi. 80 is high isn't it? i thought the operating range was 54-64psi and i'm getting 80psi. i checked for leaks when i changed the FPR and there were none. So i guess i gotta figure out why the pressure is so high. Its at 80 running also. New FPR bad maybe? Thanks guys.

Edit: Does anyone know if the FPR is adjustable?

Last edited by hubert hefner; 02-03-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Yeah 80s a little high, and the pressure is measured BEFORE the FPR, so it wouldnt help anyways if it is adjustable methinks. there is a little torx screw in the top (side) of the FPR, and Im sure that adjusted the tension on the spring inside. It wont hurt to try it I guess. Im wondering if your pump is on its way out??? We should see what swartkk has to add to this, he seems to know an awful lot.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Yea i know 80psi is way too high. When i would rev it up it would go to 100psi. Its kinda like putting a holley 750 double pumper on a stock 305. i took the FPR back and got another one to put in. They actually refunded my money and gave me another one for free. I was suprised, but i did complain a little about it. So i guess i can't complain too bad about the local autozone b/c they did more than make it right. and if this one is bad then i won't be out any money and i'll get ine from napa and see if it works. I'll PM swartlkk and have him check out this post"hopefully its not against forum rules".

Old 02-04-2010, 01:05 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hubert hefner
Yea i know 80psi is way too high. When i would rev it up it would go to 100psi. Its kinda like putting a holley 750 double pumper on a stock 305. i took the FPR back and got another one to put in. They actually refunded my money and gave me another one for free. I was suprised, but i did complain a little about it. So i guess i can't complain too bad about the local autozone b/c they did more than make it right. and if this one is bad then i won't be out any money and i'll get ine from napa and see if it works. I'll PM swartlkk and have him check out this post"hopefully its not against forum rules".
so whats the pressure now with the second FPR?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 AM

gonna put the new one in this morning. I'll check the pressure and let you guys know. Hopefully this fixes it but honestly i won't be suprised if it doesn't. Lol.

Update: Well i checked the fuel pressure after i changed the FPR again and it shot up to 85 and bled down to 55. So now i am left to wonder what the heck? Is the 2nd FPR bad too or is it something alse? The FPR is a DORMAN 55162, I think i'm gonna order one from oreilly's they can get the Borg-Warner one its like $120.00 though. I guess if it works it'll be worth it. The funny thing is GM doesn't service them because they know they are junk. Lol. That's why if you want GM gotta buy the whole spider, thats what the dealer says anyway. Lol.

Last edited by hubert hefner; 02-04-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

The odds are heavily against the second one being bad too...not impossible though.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 PM

I got a HELP brand FPR... Then I didnt use it and lost the receipt so i cant return it... 88 bucks canadian down the hole. Thinking Ill keep it for a spare since I have a junkyard spider in the truck anyways. What pisses me off is that then they print the recepit, they give me the white copy and they keep the yellow... Why is it that they cant just find the yellow copy for me??? I mean I know what day I bought it on... Too much work for them to go find it I guess...

Quick Reply: 94' Jimmy idles rough the warmer it gets.