1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 water pump instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 PM
AtreyuManiac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 94 water pump instructions?

Does anybody have or know where i can find step by step exactly on how to remove and replace the water pump on a 94 vortec v6.
Pictures arent a must but are definitely helpful. I dont have money to go out and buy the chilton only enough to buy a pump if i have to.
Thanks a bunch.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:27 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 94 water pump instructions?

I may miss a thing or two.
However.
Wait for engine to be COLD, as in water temp below 100 degrees.
Loosen fan nuts
Remove serp belt (leave the serp belt on to help with the fan nut removal).
Remove fan.
Pull bottom rad hose off water pump, it wil spill rad fluid all over the place.
If oyu have a heater hose connected to the water pump remove it too.
Remove bolts holding water pump to engine.
Gently pry water pump from engine.
Clean engine mounting surface. Might have to use a shop vac to suck out some water from engine block. You want the block face, clean and dry so the gasket will adhere to it.
Put a thin coat of gasket maker on water pump, put on gasket, then put a small amount of gasket maker on gasket. This side will go on engine. By thin coat I mean thin layer of gasket maker all the way around the water pump and all the way around the gasket. Go on both sides of the bolt holes.
Carefully manuver pump into place, dont bump teh gasket or remove the gasket maker from it.
Get one bolt started to hold water pump in place.
Put teflon tape around the water pump bolts so they dont leak and install them, pull out the one you used to hold the water pump in place and put teflon tape on it too.
Tighten up all bolts.
Reinstall the other stuff you removed.
Wait several hours for gasket maker to dry.
Fill up with 50/50 mix anti-freeze and distilled water. Cooling system holds 1 1/2 gallons.
Start engine and watch for leaks. Top off rad and put the cap on.
Let if warm up and turn it of, wait for it to cool down, pull off rad cap, start engine and top off. put rad cap back on and test drive. Let cool and top off one more time.
Verify you have coolant in the overflow tank.
During the top off process tst your anti-freeze temp rating, cheap tool at your favorite autoparts store. My neck of the woods I need to float three *****. Midwest with winter temps around 0-32 without windchill. Like a 60/40 mix, 60 percent Dexcool.

Got questions. Post up. I dont recommend you email me directly. I am not by the puter all day. If you want to call and ask questions that works too. Send me a pm with your phone number and I will send you one back with my cell number. Yes, I screen my cells calls. I will be glad to answer any questions you ahve.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:01 AM

Thank you very much sir i appreciate it

Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

your welcome.

Did you get it done?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:37 PM

i did
very quick process