1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Can't drop fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:49 PM
jug
jug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't drop fuel tank

Hi everyone,

I'm spraying gas from the top of my gas tank. I tried to drop the tank to see what the problem is and fix it but the bolts holding it up won't budge. So I'm considering removing some carpet in the back and cutting a 12"x12" hole in the floor so I can access the gas tank from above. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this without destroying my interior?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Can't drop fuel tank

I used the 'search' function and found several posts for 'remove fuel tank'. Here's a link to one of the threads.
https://blazerforum.com/m_43452/tm.htm

Old 10-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are really much better off either cutting the straps that hold the tank up or breaking off the bolts on the straps themselves with some good old fashioned muscle. Reason I state to break off the bolts is because you don't want to go throwing sparks if gas is present... Cutting a hole in the floor presents the same difficulties with fuel vapors present... Destroying your interior would be a mute point if the truck caught on fire...

Anyway, hope this helps!!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:34 PM
88jimmah is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you sprayed them with some liquid wrench?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Beginning Member
green75 is an unknown quantity at this point

dude find a wrench that fits the nuts. lock them down with a pair of vice grips. trust me it works i dropped my tank and this is the method i used. good luck

Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Campesino is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck with it. We had a fuel pump go out on a '91 s-10 pickup and it ended up just being easier to take the bed off and do the work that way.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:35 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

You might want to check on the price and availibility on a new set of tank staps and bolts and like Kyle said, break the staps or bolts.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 PM
jug

Well guys, I think I'm giving in and taking to a garage this week to let them do it.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:17 AM
jug

Well...I took it to a garage. It turned out, as I suspected, the sending unit needed replaced. They charged me $95 for the part (resonable) but I ended up paying $112 for labor.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:33 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

ouch you coulda saved some money there remember one thing patience is key to fixing your rig if you get mad or frustrated take a break and come back to it especially if there is rust present or something preventing an easy fix have patience, withthem you will save money and gain knowledge!!

Quick Reply: Can't drop fuel tank