Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   Can't find fuel filter - Some hack may have taken it out?!? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/cant-find-fuel-filter-some-hack-may-have-taken-out-34579/)

pfsantos 09-09-2009 03:06 PM

Can't find fuel filter - Some hack may have taken it out?!?

I'm stumped. I've searched for pictures of where the fuel filter should be, but cannot find any (even half decent ones) here or on the net. I have a feeling the filter was cut out of the system when a section of my fuel supply line near the tank was replaced. Can anyone help with pictures.

The other thing that's messing me up is when I follow the fuel lines from the tank (i.e. looking for the filter), they seem to bend over the transfer case area towards the center, then back to the driver's side, before they continue to the front. Help!

abig84 09-09-2009 03:15 PM

Is this on your 94? My 93 has the bent lines that go over the transfercase too. The fuel filter on mine is located on the driver side in the frame rail bout a foot or two back from when those lines bend back. Should be right there. Easy to find

pfsantos 09-10-2009 10:24 AM

Thanks. It's definitely missing. I have a new one, so I know what to look for. :) The plot thickens. BTW, yes, it's the 94 (in my sig.).

While I got at least your attention (forum seems very quiet for the amount of blazers that were built), why do the lines go towards the middle (over the TC)? To lign up with the fuel rail? I thought they could have bent the lines a little later for better access.

abig84 09-10-2009 06:10 PM

i dont know why they even bent them at all. why not just run it down the frame the entire wire and bend it at the tank like a normal truck. who knows. i question alot of stuff that gm does to their trucks. theres probably some stupid reason.

i found a picture with the filter in it

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/abig84/128.jpg

pfsantos 09-11-2009 09:50 AM

Hey, thanks for the picture. It's definitely gone. Now I have to get some lines with threaded ends to add the filter back in, or learn how to flare pipes (a skill I've been putting off for way too long). About the pipe bends - exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks again.

old skool luvr 09-16-2009 12:49 PM

the reason the fuel lines run up accross the torsion bar cross member, is they (rightfully) figure that 4WD trucks will see more hazards (ie: off-roading) than a 2WD truck. so if they follow the driveline, they should be safer. on a 2WD, they cross over right up near the back of the exhaust manifold/y-pipe connection, and get extremely "warm"-exspecially on a W code truck.

pfsantos 09-23-2010 10:44 AM

Coles notes: Need a filter bracket.

Update - it's only been a year ;) !

I bought some lines with the proper fittings on them to attach to a new filter. The ends had hose barbs, so I'm good. This was done shortly afer my previous post.

Having said that, the filter is not properly secured (do zip ties count?). Where can I get the bracket which holds it to the filter? My filter didn't come with one and I haven't been able to find it (afraid to try the dealer).

edit: been a member since 2005 - where can I change the "New Member" tag below my User name? Thanks!

c0a8l0v6i8n9 09-23-2010 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by pfsantos (Post 364944)
Coles notes: Need a filter bracket.

Update - it's only been a year ;) !

I bought some lines with the proper fittings on them to attach to a new filter. The ends had hose barbs, so I'm good. This was done shortly afer my previous post.

Having said that, the filter is not properly secured (do zip ties count?). Where can I get the bracket which holds it to the filter? My filter didn't come with one and I haven't been able to find it (afraid to try the dealer).

edit: been a member since 2005 - where can I change the "New Member" tag below my User name? Thanks!

Zip ties shouldn't be a problem holding it, not my preferred method but it will do. A junk yard may have the bracket for you. The new member will go away when you post more.

94BlazerPA 09-23-2010 03:49 PM

Try a junkyard for a bracket.

All the bracket really is just a thin strip of metal bent to go around the filter and the ends meet up and bolt into the frame. You could probably fab something up yourself and drill a pilot hole in the fame and just use a metal screw.

old skool luvr 09-24-2010 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by 94BlazerPA (Post 365018)
Try a junkyard for a bracket.

All the bracket really is just a thin strip of metal bent to go around the filter and the ends meet up and bolt into the frame. You could probably fab something up yourself and drill a pilot hole in the fame and just use a metal screw.

but there's a tapped hole already there. :icon_shrug: