1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Can't get it to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:36 PM
efil5zaggin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't get it to start

I drive a 1991 Blazer S-10 4x4 with the 4.3 engine and it won't start. It will turn over but then I get nothing but a strong gas smell. It did this once before but after a few days it started.

I have replaced:
MAP sensor, ignition module, plugs & wires, distributor cap, rotor button, air filter and fuel filter.

When I can get it started it runs fine, but I get a code 45 from the check engine light. I'm not sure what to do about that or even if it is related.

Hope you guys can help.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:22 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Can't get it to start

High and welcome to the site.

Not sure what a code 45 is.
Have you been able to test the fuel pressure? That will be important.
Also important will be to know which fuel injection system you have.

To me its sounding like you dont have enough fuel pressure to start the truck. Once the engine is running it doesnt need as much fuiel pressure.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:55 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

code 45 is ur o2 sensor. too much fuel in the mixture, also could have a clogged evap canister/filter. u should replace both.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:13 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pull the air cleaner off and see if you are getting fuel out of the injectors in the tbi. If you are then you fuel pressure maybe fine. You have replaced all the items in the fuel system that might get clogged so unless you have rust in the tank those items are good. But you might be having problems either with the TV cable, TPS or IAC...

Old 12-16-2006, 02:53 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

with the TBI in a 91 even if only one injector is spraying, it will start. I would say check your coil. Don't remember if its an HEI setup or has external coil. But check that and check the wires to the coil and dizzy. Check for spark, and check your plugs. Even though you have had that much gas pump threw, your plugs could still be fouled.

When it loads up on gas and floods out, remove the plugs and let the mtor breath. This way most of the gas will evap over dumping into your oil.

I would also check to see how much gas has passed into your oil. Once you get the starting issue fixed I would do an oil change right away. Gas in your oil can really do a number on your motor if left too long.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:05 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

the injection system on a 91 tbi is an HEI, and a quick in car check for a bad coil is as folllows. start the vehicle, apply enough gas to keep the truck running. put it in drive but keep ur foot on the brake and gas pedal, again just enough to keep the truck running. drive down the street and when u come to a stop keep giving it gas while holding the brake. if u do not stall then u definitely have either a coil prob or one in the distributer system which could include fouled plugs.