1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Engine knock and squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

I'm curious, as I will be starting an engine swap this weekend (knock on wood)...did you pull your engine leaving the core support and grille on the truck, or did you take them off? I am debating if it would be faster for me to pull the grille and core. No doubt it would be easier when you actually pull the engine out...but are you really saving time...considering what goes into removing the grille and core support? I have pulled engines before (including Blazer), but always by yanking it up and over the grille.

I would be interested to know if you have pulled using both methods and your opinion on which is the most time efficient.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rockp2
I'm curious, as I will be starting an engine swap this weekend (knock on wood)...did you pull your engine leaving the core support and grille on the truck, or did you take them off? I am debating if it would be faster for me to pull the grille and core. No doubt it would be easier when you actually pull the engine out...but are you really saving time...considering what goes into removing the grille and core support? I have pulled engines before (including Blazer), but always by yanking it up and over the grille.

I would be interested to know if you have pulled using both methods and your opinion on which is the most time efficient.
The only reason you would pull the core support is so you can take the transmission out with the engine, which will save you tons of time unless you have a body lift. Getting to the top bell housing bolts off took me for ever when i did it. If you have a place to unbolt and leave the transmission in your garage while you work on the engine thats definitely the way to go. It will save you time guaranteed.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by Jamesrp7
Hey guys thank you for all the help. I have already pulled the engine. My number one piston rod cap bearing was razor thin. I will have to have everything micrometered and double check my spacing on that piston. I have already looked into the replacement parts and the clevite was my choice for bearings. I will need a new crank, the cam is fine. I was able to pull the engine with intake manifold and all within just a few hours. The more you work on your truck the more tricks and time saving tips you learn.
Are you gettting your crank turned at a machine shop? Or are you buying a crankshaft kit?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
The only reason you would pull the core support is so you can take the transmission out with the engine, which will save you tons of time unless you have a body lift. Getting to the top bell housing bolts off took me for ever when i did it. If you have a place to unbolt and leave the transmission in your garage while you work on the engine thats definitely the way to go. It will save you time guaranteed.
I'm going to think about going that way. It's really not hard for me to get to my top bolts on the tranny. I just remove drop the rear of the tranny and use about 2 or 3 foot of extensions to remove the top bolts. But I am really going to consider tonight this method of removing the core support and grille instead. Thanks.