1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Foolish Me

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:31 PM
just plain lucky is on a distinguished road
Default Foolish Me

Ok I pumped the gas and now it is flooded how do I start my Jimmy?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Default ok No solutions

come on ya all I got to get to work !!!

Old 01-25-2012, 04:31 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Most times to start a flooded engine you hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank. (Do not pump) This will open the air valve wide open.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Too bad it's not a chat room!

Actually besides opening the throttle wide, the PCM is programmed to deliver minimum gas through the injectors when pedal is to floor.
That's why when engine doesnt start normally, best thing is to try it wide open for 15 seconds or so.. THEN try pumping pedal.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 PM

How to Start a Flooded Car Engine
Q: Would you explain what could be reasons for flooding of an engine and how to start the car if flooding has occurred?...Lal Singh

A: So we’re all on the same page; a flooded engine is an engine that has received too much gas for the amount of oxygen available for combustion. When this condition occurs the inside of the cylinders, as well as the spark plugs, will become wet with gasoline. A cylinder wet with gas will result in a reduction of cylinder compression, loss of lubrication to the piston and rings and cause spark to the spark plug to be misdirected. Because the large majority of engines on the road today are fuel injected we’ll cover how to start them if flooded. The computer has a program in it that is called the Clear Flood Mode. For the computer to activate the Clear Flood Mode it needs to see information that is out of the norm. This abnormal information is the sensor on the throttle reporting to the computer that the throttle is being held wide open, along with a crank signal to the starter. This combo of information causes the computer to respond by reducing, and in some cases completely shutting off, the fuel injectors. This process allows air only to enter the cylinder and dry out the abundance of gas. As the correct balance of air and fuel return you will feel the engine start to fire at which point the throttle can be released and the computer will return to normal fuel delivery.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Default First Try

Ok its like 1009 over here I connected a battery charger and took out a k and n filter to see if it would help, I put my foot to the floor and cranked and cranked nada I will try the same thing in morning unless you have some other advise, got spark, pushed the fuel button on the rail and gas squirted out as normal what could it be ?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

well you might not have proper fuel pressure. fuel may spurt out the test valve but that doesnt mean it has proper pressure. I would get a fuel pressure tester and see what the pressure is at. these engines need about 60 psi to start properly. hook up the tester, turn the key to run and see what the pressure is at.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Default Dear cherry blazer

Not long ago I replaced the fuel injectors spider and Put a Brand new delpi fuel pump in the tank tested out fine and was running fine till the rain hit us here in San Diego where I live Thank you for the tip the testers are like a little bit to rent and now me and my gal are trying to pinch some pennies There was a arching below the primary coil and I took it out and changed it with a new one pulled one of the plugs it had gas on it so I assumed it was flooded I replaced the plugs on the passenger side made sure I go spark. It is cold a little out here after the rain I don't know if that would affect the flooded condition dry out but the petal to the floor and then try to pump it a little bit may work in the morning I am a little frustrated and I hear what your saying though and thanks If it was not getting pressure the 60 psi that it needs I could understand that but I still think it is flooded any ways But still Thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 AM

Autozone will loan tools for free. Leave a deposit and get it back in full when you return the tool. If you have fuel, spark then the next would be timing. If you have access to a tiiming light you could check for spark at each plug and the coil.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM

One thing you could do to eliminate fuel issue is pour a small amount of gas directly into the Throttle Body. If it starts and dies right away you have a fuel issue. O2 sensor will not prevent you from starting. When the engine is cold the engine is in open loop and the O2 sensor is not utilized for fuel mixture.

Quick Reply: Foolish Me