Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   Fuel pump question??? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/fuel-pump-question-24995/)

fourplayinmi 11-23-2008 11:54 AM

RE: Fuel pump question???

its an ac delco pump

Outsydr 11-23-2008 12:56 PM

not to sound foolish but sometimes the simple things get us, look through your rear wheel well (this happened to me on my 94 after replacing the fuel pump) and look at your fuel lines i was sloppy when putting the tank back in and kinked one of the nylon lines which was not allowing enough fuel flow was a very simple fix and easily seen from looking through the wheel well, wont hurt to take a look just to be safe.

fourplayinmi 11-23-2008 02:54 PM

will check that right now changing the fuel filter also

fourplayinmi 11-23-2008 03:42 PM

replaced the filter an checked the lines... Still nothing when the pump is running though its really loud almost like a faint siren or horn this I know this isnt normal anyone had this happen before?

swartlkk 11-23-2008 03:44 PM

I guess you missed the rest of my post when you got to the first question.

fourplayinmi 11-23-2008 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I guess you missed the rest of my post when you got to the first question.
what was that? im lost sorry!

fourplayinmi 11-24-2008 08:53 AM

is it supposed to be that loud or could it be a defective pump?

swartlkk 11-24-2008 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

*snip* To see if you installed a bad fuel pump *snip*, you need to remove the fuel filter and adapt your fuel pressure gauge to the line that runs to the pump. Check the pressure right there. You should see at least 60PSI.
About how loud a pump should be, there is no set sound level for a fuel pump in these vehicles. Some are louder than others. Some are designed to be more quiet than others. The original design was a rotary vane style impeller and some aftermarket pumps changed to a turbine style impeller which is much quieter and should be more robust, but these are the pumps that most often fail.

So to reiterate, to determine if the pump is what is causing the low fuel pressure condition, you really need to test the pump discharge pressure at the fuel pump.

fourplayinmi 11-24-2008 01:26 PM

okay took it down to the local garage... When cranking have 45-46 psi an 50 when started they are now telling me its the injector that needs to be replaced

swartlkk 11-24-2008 04:36 PM

Are they going to guarantee that will fix your problem. If you still have not tested the pump discharge pressure at the fuel filter, you are subject to speculation.

How did they come to find that the injector is at fault? Did you ask?