Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   help! i smell eggs :/ (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/help-i-smell-eggs-32936/)

bumpbmx 07-25-2009 10:02 PM

help! i smell eggs :/

went to replace my spark plugs today and the one in the back on the drivers side had a oil like substance on the wire. also i can drive for 2 miles or 100 and the engine gets very hot, anitfreeze is present and there is no noticable leaks. my last problem is when i use more of the gas pedal(driving on the interstate for example) my truck smells like eggs, something i also think is liked to this is at a light i hit the gas and it is very hesitant (no power at all used to squeal tire when i floored it and now it barely moves), cloaged catylitic converter? oxygyn sensor? i was going to buy a new one of both but i want to see if anyone has any ideas on what it could be because i im currently going to school and i want to fix important things first.

rriddle3 07-26-2009 03:32 AM

Oil on the spark plug wire is from an oil leak, egg smell and no power sounds like a clogged catalytic converter. Overheating probably due to low coolant level or bad thermostat. What are you driving?

bumpbmx 07-26-2009 07:45 AM

It is a 94 s-10 blazer, I have coolant in the overflow how would I know if it was the thermastat like is there a noticable thing or do I just replace it and hope for the best?

okvortec 07-26-2009 09:54 AM

The smell would lead me to believe the cat is clogged, as already stated. A thermostat is a cheap part, the one for my 2nd gen was only 9 bucks at NAPA so I would guess a 94 would be at or less than that.

Biohazed 07-26-2009 10:18 AM

definatly sounds like you have a clogged ca, a severly clogged cat can also cause your issues of overheating and can cause excessive pressure, so i would definatly start there.

wolfen 07-26-2009 04:15 PM

Oil on the wire is a oil leak, check teh valve cover gaskets, also being the back check the oil pressure sender, and if you have a dist check eth seal on that, over heating is either a stuck thermostat, bad water pump, or a clacified radiator, ior last but not least a bad fan clutch.
the egg smell is a clogged cat. unless theres a chicken under your truck

bumpbmx 07-26-2009 05:14 PM

Ok I'll check that whenit cools down, I was looking into getting a new cat and because I'm in school I have absolutly no money extra so I was looking at getting a universal one I was told at the part store that the only difference is a flange. How much harder Of a time am I going to have putting it on? Is there a way to check the thermostat? I thank you guys for all the advice so far

wolfen 07-26-2009 07:44 PM

The thermostat check is pretty much easy if you know what temp the thermostat opens, simply place it in a pot on the stove with a candy thermometer in the pot ( full of water of course) and turn the burner on hi, at the specified temp (when it shows that temp on the thermometer) the thermostat should op[en, below that temp it should close. Just remember to use a pot that your mom doesn't want anymore cause she might be a little upset if you use a good pot for a car part (trust me, I'm married)

Fitting a universal cat is a little harder, if the flange on the cat is different than the pipe, you'll need those little reducers you see in the auto parts store, just remember that after your done there can be NO LEAKS at all in the connections! Even the smallest leak could allow carbon monoxide into the cab of your Blazer causing severe health problems or death.

As for your oil leak if it is teh valve cover when you install new valve covers get either cork gaskets, or OEM material gaskets, if you get cork use form-a-gasket #2 on each side of the gasket in a real thin layer, it will help seal the gasket better.

Lazarus 11-21-2009 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Biohazed (Post 234256)
definatly sounds like you have a clogged ca, a severly clogged cat can also cause your issues of overheating and can cause excessive pressure, so i would definatly start there.

Ok I was reading through this thread and saw this answer and now have a question. Would a partially plugged cat converter cause a higher than normal oil pressure reading? I guess I am just having a little problem wrapping my brain around this and if anyone could help out with an answer I would appreciate it.

jigger 11-22-2009 12:19 AM

Ok I was reading through this thread and saw this answer and now have a question. Would a partially plugged cat converter cause a higher than normal oil pressure reading? I guess I am just having a little problem wrapping my brain around this and if anyone could help out with an answer I would appreciate it.
Not excessive oil pressure, the oil leak was a separate item. The plugged cat would cause back pressure in the exhaust system, so what goes in can't come out. Kinda like pinching your nose closed when you sneeze.
If you think it's the cat then just loosen the exhaust before the cat (don't loosen the manifold) then take it for a short spin. If she comes back to life-it's the cat.DON'T USE THAT FOR A FIX, AS MENTIONED EARLIER IT'S NOT HEALTHY!