1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

How-To for Starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:25 PM
BlueDevils is on a distinguished road
Default How-To for Starter

I've been trying to find a decent step-by-step How-To for replacing the starter on a 1993 S10 Blazer. The closest thing I've come to is a How-To for a S10 Truck.

I know that I'll have to take one of the front wheels off and jack the engine up a little bit to get it off one of the mounts in order to get the starter off, but I need more details.

Can anyone help me out?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough

I just replaced the starter on my 1991 with a high torque mini-starter from a 2002. I didn't even have to jack the truck up (it's a stock height 4x4). As far as I know, you do not have to jack the engine up to get the starter out...I've never had to raise the engine to get a starter out on one of these trucks.

1: disconnect battery.

2: remove the torque converter cover - if you have one - as well as braces if they are present. I believe they all use a 15mm bolt but since mine doesn't have one, I don't know for sure. Don't forget the clip that holds the trans cooler lines in place.

3: Start dropping the starter by removing the 2 14mm bolts that hold it on. Don't let it dangle from the wire and battery cable as the wire may break. The old starter is a heavy sucker. A 3/8s nut holds the smaller purple wire on and a 13mm holds the battery cable on.

4: remove starter, you have have to do some maneuvering around the trans cooler lines but it will come out without disconnecting them.

5: if you have gotten a newer starter - highly recommended - it's a whole lot lighter than the old one. Replace the battery cable (13mm) and the purple wire (8mm) and slide the starter into place and start the bolts in.

6: reinstall the removed parts and you're on your way.

You get used to your truck sounding like an import when you start it.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 PM

Really? I didn't know a 2002 starter would work on 1st gens. Your writeup sounds pretty simple. Have you ever considered making a How-To thread with pics and adding it to the How-To section here? Looks like I have some tips to learn about these things.

Sadly, the new starter I got isn't a small one, it's the same size as the old one, big and heavy. If that one breaks, I'll get the lighter one you're talking about. The old one is pretty rusted so hopefully it won't put up THAT much of a fight.

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM

What a pain! The left side top brace nut is almost impossible to get to. I managed to loosen the nut just enough to move the brace enough to get the torque cover out. I don't like how Chevrolet designed this...

Anyway, the new starter I got won't work since the gear won't match up to the torque converter since it's too short. Go figure. Don't buy parts from Amazon again.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You do know that the gear gets kicked out by the solenoid when the starter engages.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Wink

I did not know that. This is my first time replacing a starter. So this one will work?

No wonder the Blazer wouldn't start. The gear is stuck in the old starter. I tested the new one and it did slide out but the old one wouldn't budge.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

on the older s10s you can trim one of the 4x4 brackets just a hair to get the starter in and out. i was told you have to lift the engine on the newer ones too. i swapped one out on like a 98 and got it out without moving anything

Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by abig84
on the older s10s you can trim one of the 4x4 brackets just a hair to get the starter in and out. i was told you have to lift the engine on the newer ones too. i swapped one out on like a 98 and got it out without moving anything
Do you have a photo of where to trim? That would definitely make things easier.