Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   Ignition switch problem (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/ignition-switch-problem-48001/)

asgeir 08-16-2010 03:48 AM

Ignition switch problem

I have an s10 4,3 4x4... 1994 ...in Norway.
When i turn to the start position the starter is dead.
There has not been any starter or starterrelay problem before until yesterday. At first the key was stuck, could not stop the engine. Somehow i managet to turn the key agaist starter posistion, then back and stop. Next problem was that i could not start.
Think this is possible the Ignition switch or the lock cylinder. Does anybody know if this is a common problem on Blazer?
As the car stopped out in the woods, i want to get it home to my garage to fix this. Is there a how to for hot wire?

swartlkk 08-16-2010 06:10 AM

The ignition switches in the older trucks were not known for the problems like the newer ones are, but it could be your problem.

You won't find a how-to here for hot-wiring your truck...

mr.vls 08-16-2010 11:11 AM

If you can get the key into the on position you can jump the starter with a screwdriver between the two starter posts and the engine will crank and should start.

swartlkk 08-16-2010 11:14 AM

You can also check the adjustment of the ignition switch. It may have shifted too low for the rod that connects to the ignition lock cylinder (where the key goes) to properly activate the start circuits.

asgeir 08-22-2010 08:41 AM

Ok, i located the wire from the starter to the ignition switch. Purple (ppl) wire goes by the top of the engine and into the bundle of wires from engine to inside car.
Put a needle trough isolation and connected it to battery+
I've got it started, and got it home :-)
I will try adjustment of ignition switch, but have to find out how to locate and adjust the switch.

mr.vls 08-24-2010 11:11 AM

What is a "needle trough isolation and connected it to battery+" and how did it help you start you car? Enquiring minds would like to know.

asgeir 08-24-2010 03:56 PM

ok... I ask for apologies, i am norwegian. :-)

stick a needle into a cord to connect to the copper inside without breaking the isolation

wire goes to the starter motor relay

connecting the needle to a wire and to the battery+ gets the starter to run. With the ignition on, the engine will start.

the ignition switch does not work ...or i get the ignition on, but the starter will not run when i turn the key, so i had to locate the wire from ignition switch to the starter relay and hotwire it.

mr.vls 08-24-2010 04:13 PM

Same as jumping the two terminal posts with a screwdriver. Battery voltage goes from the battery post to the relay and and with the key on the starter will start.

asgeir 08-25-2010 03:26 AM

Yes, but where the starter is located it is kind og narrow space.
I was afraid i could shortcut

mr.vls 08-25-2010 08:04 AM

I like your solution as it did not require crawling under the vehical and trying to get at the two posts on the starter with a screwdriver. Like the saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat.