1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Intermittenly my truck will bog down while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Intermittenly my truck will bog down while accelerating

After some hard driving on vail pass and my pedal to the floor, right when I got back into town my car would randomly studder and then be fine while accelerating almost as if my fuel filter was clogged so I replaced it and I am still having this problem. I know my spider is good since I replaced the fuel regulator so I am leaning towards maybe my plugs and wires or possible my TPS or even my ISC motor. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this problem so that I could narrow it down. I have had trouble starting my truck for a long time now and I had to step on the pedal to get it started and that is kind of why I was thinking ISC.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Starting Member

Now my truck died completely at the stoplight down the road and will not start or starts for 2 seconds so today I'm going to listen for the fuel pump to turn on and also check the IAC and see if it moves when the ignition is turned on. Any other suggestions for my truck having no power and dieing completely while driving and then not starting? MY starter is on it's way out but I don't think it would cause these problems, maybe if it's stuck in the enguaged position it would cause these problems?

Old 12-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What are you driving?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Starting Member

1994 s-10 blazer engine W 4.3L vortec.
The IAC moved when I turned the key and I took off my EGR and it seems to be ok and clean enough and there is no fuel leaking from my spider. I got in my truck today when it was cold and it stared and idled ok and I drove a 1/2 mile home and right when I got close it started acting up again, wanting to die with no power. Could my IAC still be bad if it moves? Think my TPS has anything to do with it?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The TPS is easy enough to check. The output should be ~0.5V at closed throttle and ~4.5V at fully open throttle.

Have you actually tested fuel pressure to verify that it is >55psi and that it doesn't bleed off more than a few psi over 15 minutes.

Seeing as how you have a CPI engine, one thing that has driven more than a few CPI owners nuts is the connector on the injector under the upper intake plenum.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Starting Member

I will try to barrow a fuel pressure guage and ohms meter from the shop today. I posted in another thread what issues a bad plug for the spider would cause, can you give me some ideas?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Administrator

And I already replied. But since you have a thread of your own, lets keep the discussion here instead of a problem thread started by someone else.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Starting Member

Swartlkk, just wondering how you do a leak down test? I know how to do it on on a turbo engine but on this truck I have no clue. I searched and was reading some other threads but there is no tutorial thread or anything else really.

Also my buddy is getting back into town tonight so I can barrow his FP guage finally so I will be able to determine if it's the fuel pump tonight. My IAC was really dirty as well, I know you said that can cause problems in another thread.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator

In the context above, the leak down test is pertaining to the fuel pressure. You simply watch the fuel pressure gauge after the pump shuts off. It shouldn't drop more than a few psi.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Starting Member

I just replaced my fuel pump and still the same problem, the truck with start up and idle fine for a few minutes then after that it dies. I am now thinking maybe its my spider or what else causes you truck to die when it starts to warm up. Should I rule out my iac eventhough it moves when I turn the truck key?
The line the runs from my pump to the sending unit was bad so I atleast fixed that.

Quick Reply: Intermittenly my truck will bog down while accelerating