Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   Leaking brake fluid & coolant need help asap (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/leaking-brake-fluid-coolant-need-help-asap-66264/)

89Recon 12-23-2011 04:39 PM

Leaking brake fluid & coolant need help asap

I am having to put brake fluid in my rig about once every couple weeks not sure where it is leaking from I know it has a crack in the reservoir lid but not huge maybe a couple inches and I don't think the fluid is getting out that way I just would like to find out where it is leaking from any suggestions on what to check ? also I am leaking coolant it isn't coming out of the radiator it is coming from the reservoir I fill it up and later that day it's empty again so any suggestions for what to check on that ? I really want to get these issues taken care of I don't want to be stranded or have my brakes go out on me so any help asap would be appreciated thanks

workshop4ever 12-23-2011 06:12 PM

The brake reservoir should be separated in the middle. The split sends one half to the front brakes, the other half to the rear brakes. This way a leak in one brake line will not cause all of the brakes to fail. So, start off by seeing which end of the reservoir is empty after it has leaked. Then trace those brake lines and look for any area that is wet. Fill up the reservoir and pump the brakes a few times. Then look for the leak.....

Once you've found the leak you'll want to replace some line. Find out which size the line is, and find a good clean spot to splice into using a flare tool and some flare fittings. (local auto parts store)

As for the coolant, how do you know it is leaking from the reservoir? Is there a wet spot or remnants of what was at one point cooling leading from the reservoir? If so, the reservoir is probably cracked and needs replacement. If not, and you can't see where the coolant is going then you might be looking in the wrong spot. Coolant should be easy to spot, even with a slow leak.

89Recon 12-23-2011 06:17 PM

thanks for the help I am going to check all this when my wife gets home I may need some help with the whole flare thing though

xgiovannix12 12-23-2011 06:26 PM

this should have all the information you need to flare them

DIY Bubble Flare Brake Line Made Easy - ISO Metric Bubble Flare - YouTube

89Recon 12-23-2011 06:37 PM

okay gio you have succeeded in finding a guy that says umm more than anyone EVER lmao also I understand how to do the flare but why is it necessary? and how much does a kit like that cost?

xgiovannix12 12-23-2011 06:46 PM

I dont know depends they prob have a cheap kit at your local auto parts

and instead of replacing the whole line its cheaper to cut where its leaking and put a new piece of brake line in there with fittings

89Recon 12-23-2011 07:01 PM

oh ok just wanted to know why it was needed to do the flare

xgiovannix12 12-23-2011 07:02 PM

the flare is what keeps the fittings in place and prevents the line from leaking

the flares are suppose to seal the connections between fittings

89Recon 12-23-2011 07:11 PM

thanks for the info

workshop4ever 12-24-2011 08:29 AM

The flare is needed as a method of keeping the line from leaking, especially under high pressure. Although compression fittings exist, they are NOT recommended because they can fail under emergency stop conditions. When you perform a panic stop, the pressure inside that line is crazy! You certainly don't want a failure when you need it most....

As for cost. Autozone typically "rents" a kit. You pay like $20, and receive the $20 back when you return the tool after you have used it. If you'd like to buy a kit (I'd recommend having one if you plan to own another car in your lifetime) they are only about $20-$30 at your local store. The line itself is cheap, and purchased by the foot. If you aren't sure which size you need, bring a piece in and hand it to them... they'll find out. I think I paid $6 for 15ft. last time I did this.