1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need help with 88s10 blazer....4.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010 | 05:31 PM
|
Beginning Member
crashhole is on a distinguished road

So I have drove the blazer and it runs great for the most part. Only issue I have now is I keep getting a code 22 (TPS) when you are cruising down the road it will shut off, but soon as you let off the gas, the light comes back on. No biggie, I will get another TPS.

Next issue is the idle. Sometimes it will start up and idle kinda high then settle down....SOMETIMES. When you drive it and come to a stop, you have to press the brake pedal pretty hard because the idle is up so high. Could the IAC be causing this?

Last edited by crashhole; 02-02-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2010 | 07:39 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Dude, Ive got the same thing going on... TPS code, and having to press really hard to get it to stop... Allthough occasionally it wants to crap out on me when stopping cause it is too low RPM not too high...

I bought a can of CRC MAF Sensor Kleen today, when its light out tomorrow I have to clean all those sensors off and head over to the inspection station and get an emissions test, then off to get my insurance...

Ill let you know how the sensor cleaning goes.

Old 02-02-2010 | 07:56 PM
|
Beginning Member

yeah, sometimes it idles low and tries to die. I might try that cleaner also. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-03-2010 | 05:39 PM

I cleaned off my sensors, dumped 2 gallons of METH into the 1/4 tank, and she drove like new with no stutters or engine lights all the way to the inspection station. ACED the test, and the dude asked if I had a brand new engine in it cause the truck passed so easily and the engine and drivetrain have no leaks... and he fails half of these trucks that come through. Got my insurance now for the year, drove it around all day to burn off that methyl hydrate, and got a tank of clean gas, and no more problems. It idles beautifully, gobs of power, no more hard brake pedal and stalling. I think cleaning the sensors was a good trick.

Last edited by ohsofly; 02-03-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2010 | 07:55 PM
|
Beginning Member

Thats awesome man. I am going to have to check at lowes for that stuff. How much do you add to the fuel? Or should I just get down to a 1/4 tank and add a couple gallons?

Old 02-03-2010 | 11:03 PM

I wouldnt go adding that stuff to the tank unless you have an emissions test you are iffy about passing... Its not that good for the fuel pump I hear. But its hot damn for cleaning the inside of your fuel system. Any parts place has it, its pure alcohol, the trick is that its not a `Hydrocarbon`and thus is clean burning... Less gasoline and more Alcohol would make your HC emissions non existent alsmost. Its really close to Methanol... And some gas companies have up to 10% methanol mixed in their gasoline they sell. I bumped mine up to about 40% by my calculations. Truck totally felt like it had more power too... Its about 10 bucks a gallon and comes in a jug like washer fluid. I think what it is supposed to be used for is portable cooking stove or heater like for heating a tent...

The stuff I cleaned the sensors with is `CRC MAF sensor cleaner` just soak em down and use your kid brothers toothbrush to clean them with or Qtips... Your choice.

Last edited by ohsofly; 02-03-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2010 | 05:50 PM
|
Beginning Member

Well I took the blazer for the emission test and it failed. Texas specs are: HC(hydro carbons) 194, mine had 225. Texas specs are: Nox 1340, mine had 3469. I put some stp fuel system cleaner in the tank about a week ago and I also added 6oz of marvel mystery oil. Since it failed today I went and bought some of the CRC guranteed to pass emission stuff. I'm just wondering if the additives I have in the tank now will affect the CRC or should I burn whats left in the tank and then add the CRC. They say to use one bottle and a full tank of gas. Would say half a tank of gas work better making the CRC stronger?

Old 02-12-2010 | 05:57 PM

If i was you I would be getting her down under 1/4 tank and putting 2 gallons of the meth in the tank... passing... then diluting that mix with reg gas... However, I think that may be why i need a catalytic convertor now...? From what I just read they get clogged up from rich running engines, and with the fuel leak I just fixed, and the fact that I just bought it not running, then who knows how long it was running rich for. Cats also have the filter stuff inside busted up when the convertor itself gets banged up. Ill come back and edit this post with what the specs are for my air test, and the inspection lady said my truck aced it.

Old 02-12-2010 | 06:29 PM
|
Beginning Member

Back in 02 I had a chevrolet 1500 5spd with the V6 in it. It failed on the HC's. I went to autozone, bought pretty much the same stuff (Emission pass) put it in the tank, burned it all out. Put more fuel in, went back and it passed.

Right now, I am not exactly sure what causes high levels of HC. Maybe someone with knowledge on that will chime in

Old 02-12-2010 | 06:31 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

The fuel lines do go on top of the strap. Yes it's a PITA but the proper way to do it. You'll find out that it doesn't squish them at all. Close but there's adequate clearance.