1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

need help with my digital cluster

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Beginning Member
Manny951 is on a distinguished road
Default need help with my digital cluster

well ive been tryin and tryin to fix my digital cluster the problem lies in the gas it usually says full but when i turn it off and not turn it on it shows the actual gas then when i turn it on goes back to full this really sucks because i just want it to show all the time i thought it was the whole clusters so i go to the junk yard alot have 4 pairs of them the other ones are usually worse then this one But i seen a guy sellin a cluster brand new or recontructed for 125 any help? i can fix this myself? my dad gave me this suv and i can make it look nice atleast

Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Well both your temp and gas will read full when they are not grounded properly. Maybe take the ground off the frame from the sending unit and clean it up a little. From just swapping my tank out, the ground is gotten by laying on your back face under the rear bumper. There is a crossbar between the frame rails behind and above the gastank, you can see a wire screwed into this bar from the top slightly on the passenger side, thats the ground for the pump and sender unit.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing to check while you are there, the plug where the vehicle wiring plugs into the gas tank wiring a bad/broken connection here will result in the issue you describe.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ohsofly
There is a crossbar between the frame rails behind and above the gastank, you can see a wire screwed into this bar from the top slightly on the passenger side, thats the ground for the pump and sender unit.

really? every Blazer/Jimmy i've worked on has had the ground on the top of the driver's frame rail, just behind the rear diff. (13mm socket, 2 wires)

not sure what "ground" you were refering to @ the back bumper, but that's usually the on for the lighting (if we're talking about the same one Thomas).

Old 07-24-2010, 04:20 PM

92-94 have some minor differences from earlier years, the ground for my sending unit (94) Is in the exact spot Ohsofly mentions it is right at the rear of the tank in the center (left to right) just in front of the rear bumper.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Beginning Member

okay well today I will work on that i just got the whole interior in the junk yard with electric seats for 175 =] with back seats carpet black panels the whole interior even top lights it looks sexy now i will take a pic and post it up but i need to get that to work

Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
really? every Blazer/Jimmy i've worked on has had the ground on the top of the driver's frame rail, just behind the rear diff. (13mm socket, 2 wires)

not sure what "ground" you were refering to @ the back bumper, but that's usually the on for the lighting (if we're talking about the same one Thomas).
Hmmmm, weird thats where I took them off mine, I though it was a good spot,the wires were long enough. yeah it was right beside the plug that the other poster was talking about. The screw goes in one hole, and the plug has a clip that goes in the hole beside that one. I guess they cant all be 100% the same. Its in front of the back bumper. Theres a space about 2 inches that you can fit a wrench in, and my screw was a 10MM im sure...

Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Beginning Member

oh sofly i found it and it was loose! i tighten it up and it works now :] yesssssss! it works evreything on the guages work now but the only thing i have is sometimes check engine light comes up and i have the ABs constanly on and BRAKE light as well any ideas? sorry if im too much u guys are very helpfull and i would never would of found that out on my own i thank you guys very very much i thought it was always the dash so i keeped on buyin them and keeped on buyin them from the junk yard

Old 07-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member
drtyblnd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the dashes you purchased

i would be happy to take one of those dashes if not all off your hands if you dont want them just let me know and we might work somthing out thanks dj

Last edited by drtyblnd; 07-28-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 PM

try this for starters https://blazerforum.com/forum/article-submissions-discussions-47/1st-gen-abs-codes-how-retrieve-clear-them-32293/ let us know what you find and we will do our best to help ya a bit further.

Quick Reply: need help with my digital cluster