1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Opinions on K&N C.A.I. and T.B. spacer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opinions on K&N C.A.I. and T.B. spacer

I want to add a K&N cold air intake (or so they claim its cold), and a throttle body spacer to my '89 4.3l... Does anyone have an opinion based on experience? Milage? Perfromance? etc...

Thanks

Dan

Old 11-07-2007, 01:16 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Opinions on K&N C.A.I. and T.B. spacer

If you get the K&N FIPK kit then it is cold air(thanks to the box that blocks engine heat)and I have it on my blazer. It added alittle power, not bad.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

A K&N FIPK cold air intake will not work with a throttle body spacer. I assume your truck is fuel injected but I don't know since I have no experience with that old of a blazer. I know in the newer ones (ones with fuel injection) that a throttle body spacer doesnt do much, except make a whistling noise. Hope this helps, from what I have heard the K&N intake is good, and I have been considering getting one.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Burlisonm is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a K&N FIPK and a TBS on my 03 Blazer and with both of them on there it is very hard to close the hood do to the fact that it is to tall. The only way that I could get it to work is put on the TBS with the original plastic intake tube that sits on the throttle body and use the rest of the K&N filter tube and filter. Lennyblazer is also right about the TBS, it doesn't do anything much but make a whistling noise.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:30 PM

Ya my '89 is F.I. tbi to be exact... I'm not sure if the K&N kit is cold air, but heres a link. Let me know what you think...

JCWhitney.com Link to a K&N FIPK...

*EDIT by swartlkk* - fixed long link

Old 11-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Looks like it might work. If you buy one, I'd be interested in how you like it.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

that link is for a cold air intake... K&N calls them "FIPK" just to be different.

im not sure how it will work on your truck but on mine,the K&Nreplaces afew of the factory bolts near the throttle body so for me, it will be hard to get a tbs to fit with the bolts from the k&n. and like burlisonm said, its hard to fit a TBS and a CAI. mine already seems real close to the hood

on a side note: if you pop the hood immediately after driving and feel the part of the CAI that is surrounded by the heat shield, it definately feels colder than the tube that isnt shielded...

Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 PM

What does "fipk" stand for?? As for thet.b.s I have decided agianst it. Do you guys know what I'll have to do with the crankcase breather tube (I think thats what its called), and all the little vacuum tubes that run up to the stock air cleaner housing???

Thanks

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

FIPK == Fuel Injection Performance Kit

Old 11-08-2007, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

mine had a place for all the sensors. everything that came off the stock housing goes back on with the CAI

i also outlined where the cai connects to the throttle body. itcomes with some extension bolts and a metaladapter tohold the newone in place... im sure it is quite different on an '89 but this is hoiw mine hooks up.

K&N FIPK on a 2nd gen PICTURE

*EDIT by swartlkk* - linked to large resolution picture to help reduce loading time.

Quick Reply: Opinions on K&N C.A.I. and T.B. spacer