1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

rough except in nuetral

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Asimm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rough except in nuetral

well i just swaped engines and long story short it began to shake when it is in drive, reverse, etc. except not in park or nuetral.

we tighted the torque converter bolts and it seemed to stop for 10 min (we also used locktight) but then it started it again.
we think it may be the motor mount bolt or the stabalizer bars that we did not put back on.
any suggestions?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Sunshine Coaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: rough except in nuetral

Does this happen when driving or just when shifted into gear while stopped? If it's when driving did you drop the drive shaft? there's might be a chance you didn't get the caps centered in the yoke, I've seen some that don't have the tabs on the end of the saddle that the bearing cap fits into...if a little off center it would cause vibration.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 AM

we havent put back in the forward driveshaft thats for the 4 wheel drive could that be it?

and we never touched the rear drive shaft so that cant be it.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:38 AM
The Slacker is an unknown quantity at this point

Try putting the back end up on some jackstands and putting it in gear. Have someone watch under the car. The fact that it doesn't happen in neutral or park pretty much eliminates the engine. So it's gotta be something with the drivetrain. Throw it in nuetral and try spinning the driveshaft by hand. I would throw the 4wd shaft on anyways.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:54 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you remove teh radiator when you swapped engines? If so, did you fill the tranny up to proper level? Check it with the engine running.

Did you also make sure the torque converter was fully seated in the tranny pump when you reattached teh engine?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Did you remove teh radiator when you swapped engines? If so, did you fill the tranny up to proper level? Check it with the engine running.

Did you also make sure the torque converter was fully seated in the tranny pump when you reattached teh engine?
yes we took out the radiator and we also filled it back up to proper level while it was hot and running and we the tranny is all seated in place right with the engine.

the vibrations arent as bad any more but it does start up after a lil bit when it gets warmer so idk i think im going to get those stabilzer bars put back on by a mechanic that we know

Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

By stabilizer bars I gather your talking about the ones that attach to the tranny and to the front of the engine? Its 4 bolts between the two bars and they stiffen up the link between teh tranny and engine.

The vibration only when warm eh? It could very well be your engine running rough under load once warmed up.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 PM

well i also have a rich smell of gas comming out of the exhaust, so i checked the o2 sensor and its plugged in right so idk any suggestions?

Old 05-30-2008, 05:33 AM

i ran it down to the mechanic yesterday and they found a vacume hose that was undone so we put it on and it ran allot better so i am crossing my fingers for no vibrations or smell

Old 06-01-2008, 11:56 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

CRAZY!!! I have the same exact problem... i just swapped motors and its running really rough, sputtering bad. Where exactly was the vacuume leak?

Quick Reply: rough except in nuetral