1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

seafoam causes oil leaks??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:08 PM
skitzobmxr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default seafoam causes oil leaks??

hey i was talkin to my neighbor about seafoaming my truck and he said " dont do it my dad put that stuff in his truck and the next day he leaked oil all over the driveway and wuz goin through a qurt of oil a day" can that actually happen...wut would cause that and i bought this stuff the other day at...i think it wuz farm and fleet its called pro shop octane booster it says it cleans the fuel injectors, improves gas mileage, reduces emissions, improves horespower,cleans intake valves, reduces combustion chamber deposits,and reduces hesistation and rough idleing...that sounds like it does a lot any of u gus try that stuff out it comes in a little red bottle it says to add the whole thing to a new tank of gas with every tank full...sounds like a bunch of b/s to me but i figured id try it

Old 12-17-2006, 09:14 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: seafoam causes oil leaks??

The seafoam you put in the crank case is the stuff you don't want to run a long time before you change your oil. That was maybe their mistake. Adding seafoam to your oil is like addingEngine Flushto it. You dont want to run that stuff long due to it will do damage to your engine over a long period of time.
Running an fuel treatment is way different, that is to help aid in cleaning the system out (if its a quality one due to cheap ones are just that CHEAP).

Old 12-17-2006, 09:16 PM

it wuz the namebrand stuff..off the internet(he got it at a NAPA)he said all they did wuz put it in there gas tank

Old 12-17-2006, 09:23 PM

Then they are stearing you WRONG, there is close to no way that stuff would cause oil leaks as they claim. And I am sure loads of members here that are mechanically backrounded will confirm. I would have to say it was just a freek thing that they showed when it did.

I have never in my life ever heard of a Gas Treatment causing massive or small oil leaks. The stuff just is not enough chemical base to do a one time treatment damage as they are claiming.

Not to mention if it was a cause of the fuel treatment, not only could NAPA be sued, but the company that made it also. And trust me, there is no way that would had caused the issues they are claiming (unless they dropped it into the oil instead of the gas tank. I have heard of people doing that).

Re-Reading your post, it seems that they blew a seal (might had already been going out and just seemed to them it happened same time). If the valve seats are already toasted, the fuel system treatment would not make it so it would be that much of a loss. A QT a day, that is a serious leak, and have never found Fuel Treatment to be the cause of that.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:26 PM

aright thx cuz i wuz kinda skeptical about putting this stuff in my truck the trucks already a pile and i dont wana cause any more problems

Old 12-17-2006, 09:30 PM

Well you are in WI, and I am in MN. And trust me, there is no way that I can see a one time treatment of a fuel system boost/cleaner doing damage like that. If it does, bring the truck to me and I will install new seals. Just for FYI I have been turning my own wrenches for over 20 yrs here.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:31 PM

haha aright deal
how far into MN are u? any good wheelin spots out there

Old 12-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is NO way that it would cause oil leaks. This is the same misconception that synthetic oil originally received. The thing is, the leaks were always there. If it was added to the crankcase and used properly, then there were preexisting leaks that were caused by sludge buildup eating away at the gasket material. Once the seafoam was added to the oil, it cleaned away all of the built up sludge that was holding the oil in. So by cleaning the crap out, it is possible to open up old leaks.

Seafoam will not cause leaks. If used properly, it will prolong the life of your gaskets by removing harmful sludge buildup that causes the leaks.

Now for proper application:
You can use a 1/2 can in the crankcase. Run it for roughly 100 miles, then drain, change filter, and refill with clean oil. You will then want to follow that up with an oil change (regardless of the oil you used) in no more than 3000 miles.

You can dump an entire can into the gas tank and just drive normally.

You can dribble a 2/3rds of a can down the intake while keeping the engine running, then dribble the last 1/3rd in and let the engine die at the very last little bit. Wait a half hour, then drive it like you stole it. Pull all of the spark plugs and replace if they are old, clean and check gap if they are relatively new. Change the oil.

It is a good idea to do these things sort of at the same time. Add 1/2 bottle to the crankcase, dump the rest of the bottle in the gas tank along with another full bottle. After the 100 miles, do the upper intake cleaning with another full bottle, and follow this all up with checking/changing the plugs as well as an oil change.

Good luck and let us know if there are any other questions you need answered!

Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 PM

There are loads of wheeling spots all over. The Twin Cities has an off road club that meets from time to time and goes out. Same with Iowa. The Iowa Ralley is the biggest gathering I have seen yet of off roaders, both daily drivers and towed on trailer.

Oh forgot to add, I am in Central MN
Takes me 2 hrs to get into WI, 2 hrs to get into SD, 2 1/2 hrs to NE, 3 hrs to Iowa, and 6 hrs to Canada.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:42 PM

i want to get into sum stuff like that is there any websites or anything out there for areas around these couple of states (wi,mn,il,iowa)

Quick Reply: seafoam causes oil leaks??