Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   Torx head removal with center pin (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/torx-head-removal-center-pin-20866/)

Sunshine Coaster 05-24-2008 12:19 AM

Torx head removal with center pin

I've come across some torx head screws I need to remove but they have a pin in the center so a regular bit won't fit into it. Hit Canadian Tire just before they closed today and they don't carry them and the guy there had never heard of them before. Anyone know if these types of bits are available or do I have to try and drill out the pin without screwing up the slots.

Blazin_Jason 05-24-2008 12:30 AM

RE: Torx head removal with center pin

The employees at Canadian Tire are almost always useless ;) What are you trying to remove, curious as I have never ran across any of those.

95grn4dr 05-24-2008 01:27 AM

You need a set of tamper proof torx bits to remove those screws,Should run you under 10 bucks.what are you trying to remove???The EBCM or???

Sunshine Coaster 05-24-2008 09:07 AM

I did a google search and those bits aren't as rare as i thought, unfortunatly i live in a small town where no one has them and they have to be ordered. What i'm working on isn'tmy Blazer but with all the experience in here this was my best shot for an answer. Here's the problem...see if you can figure out what to do. My 2001 Neon R/T won't start, the key goes into the ignition but won't turn either way, almost like it's the wrong key ( it isn't..both keys do the same thing) Problem is, I need to turn the key to the on position to be able to push in the removal pinto replacethe tumbler ass'y.This seems to be a common problem with Chryslers. The fasteners that hold the whole ass'y onto the steering column are all tamper-proof torx. The other problem is, once I getthe whole thingoff the car I still need to find a way to remove the lock from the cylinder.Local locksmith said if he can't turn it on to remove it he can't help me, dealership says I probably need to replace the whole ass'y ( ka-ching ) Once I remove it i might try drilling the retainer pin out because the lock is toast anyways. Any ideas how to remove it without resorting to the destructive idea?

xmradioguy 05-24-2008 03:32 PM

If you have a princess auto near you they carry the security bit set you need.they want $12.99 for it and they do mail order if you want.

94blueknight 05-24-2008 07:06 PM

ya x2 to the tamper proof torx. i came across one in the plenum when i was doin my fuel lines to the spiders. i was like wtf lol

Sunshine Coaster 05-25-2008 10:13 AM

Found a cheap set at NAPA..got the old ignition out and just waiting for the new one now...phew..what an ugly job...lol

neo71665 05-25-2008 07:22 PM

I know you said you fixed it but I got my set of tamper proof bits at sears. I got the set that most of you prolly won't wanna pay for but I deal with more than the torx at work, they also have smaller sets.

Another thing to watch for is there are 2 types of the torx tamper proofs, a 5 star and the more common 6 star.

kerander 05-27-2008 07:55 AM

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91310

$8

neo71665 05-27-2008 11:56 PM

In a pinch the cheap sets will work but if the screw is tight or has to be torqued down the tip of the bits tend to snap off. I tried a set like that (you can get it cheaper on ebay) before I finally had to fork out the $120 for the set I now have.