Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   Trouble starting 94 Tahoe LT (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/trouble-starting-94-tahoe-lt-62966/)

Cessnaflyer 09-09-2011 03:00 AM

Trouble starting 94 Tahoe LT

I've had two instances where it was difficult to start my blazer.

The first was after towing on a 90 degree day 150 miles at highway speeds. After I parked it and took the trailer off I got back in to start and it would fire. After several attempts the negative on the battery fell off. I put that back on and it fired up right away.

Fast forward two weeks to today and I couldn't get it started. It was around noon and another hot day. 24 hours before it was running fine in the heat. This time there was no battery cable problem. I tried again a little while ago since it is quite a bit cooler and it started right up. I drove it around to operating temperatures and it was fine to start again.

It seems like a vapor lock happening or is it a more serious problem?

pettyfog 09-09-2011 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cessnaflyer (Post 459367)
I've had two instances where it was difficult to start my blazer.

The first was after towing on a 90 degree day 150 miles at highway speeds. After I parked it and took the trailer off I got back in to start and it would fire. After several attempts the negative on the battery fell off. I put that back on and it fired up right away.

Meaning, I assume, it wouldnt crank. Not related, IMO. OR it did crank alright until the cable fell off.. ?

Fast forward two weeks to today and I couldn't get it started. It was around noon and another hot day. 24 hours before it was running fine in the heat. This time there was no battery cable problem. I tried again a little while ago since it is quite a bit cooler and it started right up. I drove it around to operating temperatures and it was fine to start again.

It seems like a vapor lock happening or is it a more serious problem?
If the engine was at air temperature and it wouldnt start, probably not vapor lock. That would manifest when starting an already warm engine... though it would still be a good idea to get a fuel pressure gauge and check the leakdown rate.

pressure > 55lb, over 50 for ten minutes IIRC

Cessnaflyer 09-09-2011 01:53 PM

The first instance it would crank but not fire until the cable fell off. Then I put the cable back on and it fired right away.

Cessnaflyer 09-19-2011 08:32 PM

Well it happened again. Would not fire up. I tried for about 30 minutes and decided to put fuel down the intake and it started right up and drove 40 miles right to the mechanic with no problem. I don't have the time to work on it the next few weeks so I will let him deal with it. I'll let you know what he finds out when he digs into it tomorrow.