2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

[BLAZER 99] can't read DTC nor access ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 AM
Beginning Member
pierrem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default [BLAZER 99] can't read DTC nor access ECU

Hi,

I'm the happy owner of a Blazer exported to Europe (VIN : 1GNDT13W7XK209921).
The MIL is lighted on and the motor crank but don't start.
To identify the trouble, I've bought :
ELM SCAN Compact5 + ELM ScanMaster.

When I plugged it on the OBD connector, it connects but the software says : '$10 Engine ECU found' and 'not OBD compliant'. Same things with other Scantool.net softwares ...

The software + adapter is working well with another car ...

So, where could be the problem ?
Is this car a 'special' OBD ? Do I need to use another soft ?
Do I have to check something, somewhere ? A button to press, a switch to push ?
Is it a good idea to unplug the battery to reset the ECU ?

FYI : there are no chevy dealer near the place I live in France ... american car are not really common around here in Europe, no way to get help except from the web
Counting on your advices !

Old 12-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member

Hi there,

Noboby has an answer for me ?

Maybe theses news questions will be more answered !

I think that the default is the ECU itself ... only half respondig to the scanner.
Has someone allready heard about this kind of trouble ?

Also, what place do you recommand to buy a second hand ECU ?
I've absolutely no idea about that nor for a 'good' price

thanks in advance
p

Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the cigar lighter fuse in the instrument panel fuseblock.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Beginning Member

Hi RonJon,

Thks but the problem is probably not here : the serial/OBDII adapter receive power (LED on) and 'dialog' with the ECU.
But only a very few ... just able to detect $10 engine, and nothing else.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would have a shop double check that it is a problem with the PCM (ECU). It is possible that there is an interruption in the serial bus wire from the DLC to the PCM.

Check continuity on the purple wire from the DLC to the PCM black connector cavity 11:

If you do not get good continuity, inspect splice pack SP201 - located Body harness, to the LH of the IP, below the IP fuse block, taped to the Body Harness.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Beginning Member

Hi swartlkk,

Thanks for advices.
I'll try to do that ... when I'll have understood all the terms you used
(... poor frenchie who doesn't speak so well english, lol)

I'll you know the results.

*combining consecutive posts*

Hi swartlkk,

The DTC pin 2, wired in purple, arrives at the VCM on a dark-green wire, connector #4 on pin 11 ...
At this pin, the continuity from DTC pin 2 / VCM pin 10 is OK (no resistance with an ohmeter).

I notice that the DTC pin 9 is wired in my car (light brown) but do not appear to be on the schematic.

Thks

*combining consecutive posts*

Hi swartlkk,

I'm still in contact with the scantools staff (the sold me the adapter+soft).
They say, because it is an exported car and EU doesn't required ODB2 in 99, the car is not compliant ...

Any idea about that ?
And if they are right, what can I do ... ?
Does it mean that the car is OBD1 ?

Does the VIN may help to check compliancy ?
(1GNDT13W7XK209921)

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-10-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should still be OBD2. Try removing the pin for that brown wire you speak of from the DLC (terminal removal tool required) and see what happens when you connect the scan tool.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Beginning Member

Hi swartlkk,

the brown wire removed ... nothing changes !
What do you think about the Scantools ELMCompact5 adapter ?
Are they any 'special' scanner (soft) for these cars ?

Thanks a lot for the time you spent. Hope it will be succesfull

Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator

If you have verified that the scan tool works on other OBD2 equiped vehicles, then the scan tool is likely not the cause.

The emissions sticker should list OBD2 if your truck is full OBD2, which it should be.

I would find someplace with another scanner and see if you get the same results.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Beginning Member

Hi swartlkk,

Yes, the adapter+soft works fine on my wife's car (ford)

I've been looking everywhere (hope so ...) but I didn't find a sticker 'speaking' about OBD2 compliance.

I misunderstand your last sentence ... :
"I would find someplace with another scanner and see if you get the same results. "

If you mean I have to find another scanner (adapter or soft ?) ... it is like impossible around here. That's why I bought the Scantool's on the net.
For the fun, here the google map link for where I live : http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&sourc...Charentes&z=13
As you can see, it's in the middle of nowhere ! Very quiet also

Quick Reply: [BLAZER 99] can't read DTC nor access ECU