2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'00 Blazer no start.... again.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road
Default '00 Blazer no start.... again.

Earlier this year my blazer had a no start issue and a coolant leak. When it wouldn't start it would blow the crank fuse. What turned out to be the problem was that my intake gaskets were leaking down the back of the engine and on to the neutral safety switch causing the no start. About 2 months later the engine ate a rod bearing and I replaced the motor, complete with new intake gaskets. So this morning I go to leave for work and once again no crank. I checked the radiator, and it is almost empty. I pulled the crank fuse, it was fine. I looked at the NSS and it was dry. Then I pulled the starter relay and put it back in, and then it starts fine. I am baffled. I like driving the blazer, but I am beginning to hate owning it.

I am considering this, but I might just be frustrated at the moment

Attached Thumbnails '00 Blazer no start.... again.-mobilecrush.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 03:36 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

What made you check the radiator when the engine would not crank over? Just seems an odd thing to check.

What is the NSS?

And do you mean it would not start, or the starter would not turn the engine at all?

Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by LannyL81
What made you check the radiator when the engine would not crank over? Just seems an odd thing to check.

What is the NSS?

And do you mean it would not start, or the starter would not turn the engine at all?
I checked the coolant because that was causing it to not crank before.

NSS = neutral safety SWITCH

it wasn't cranking at all.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

For no cranking at all (starter does not engage):
1) battery terminals corrded
2) battery cable terminals corroded
3) battery has low voltage
4) starter has failed
5) starter solenoid terminal not getting voltage - ignition switch contacts failure
6) starter solenoid relay contacts or terminals corroded
7) transmission safety switch

are ideas that I can think of off the top of my head.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:20 AM

I thus point I know it is definitely not the battery or cables, that is all fairly new. I haven't had the problem again in a few days. I know my starter is pretty old, that could be the case.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 PM

So, I know this so far.
Battery, battery terminals and cables are good. Voltage is good. I found out that it will crank if I short out the 2 terminals highlighted in the picture it cranks with no problem. If I have the key on it will start right up.

My dad's mechanic said that he thinks it may be the ignition switch. However, he has like 20 cars ahead of mine and only works like 2 days a week and might not get to it for a couple weeks. So can anyone tell me how I could test my ignition switch?

Attached Thumbnails '00 Blazer no start.... again.-chevrolet-s10-2000-fuse-box-diagram_zps1c119250.gif  
Old 12-05-2014, 06:46 AM

When I can get a ride back to the shop i will bring it home and test it. As you can see the first thing the ignition sends power to is the crank fuse.

So I will test for 12v at the crank fuse when I crank it. If I have not voltage it should be the ignition. If I have 12v then it is probably my neutral safety switch. If it is my ignition I will probably pull it out and see if I can clean it up inside, I've done this on hondas before. If I can't then there is an Advance auto that has one in stock about 20 minutes from me. If it is my neutral safety switch I will probably rig up a start button until I can get my mechanic to swap the NSS for me.

Attached Thumbnails '00 Blazer no start.... again.-capture_zps8c3101b2.jpg  
Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 AM
gary141412 is on a distinguished road

I
have the same problem, I replaced nss, ing. switch still no power to soloind.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:56 PM

So I had my wife take me over to pick up my blazer figuring that I could jump pins 85 & 87 to get it to start. However, I wanted to test the crank fuse to see if it was getting voltage (first checking that the fuse is not blown) when the key was turned to start. First thing I did was turn the key and no start, no surprise there. So I hooked my voltmeter to the crank fuse and had my wife turn the key, and it started. So I had her crank it again and no crank So I tested the pin again and it started. So I drove it home and pulled the fuse and put a new fuse it, it starts every time now. So I guess I just had a bad fuse.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:45 AM
gary141412 is on a distinguished road

where is the crank fuse

Quick Reply: '00 Blazer no start.... again.