2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 4 door axle nut size.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Beginning Member
Slayer23 is on a distinguished road
Default 01 4 door axle nut size.

Just got the blazer in my garage. Got everything ready to change my hubs first thing in the AM and I decided to double check the socket I borrowed to remove the axle nuts. Everything I have read here and every where else says 36mm, but there is no way it will work. It will almost spin around w/out any torque at all and the nut is in perfect shape. I would strip it out in a second if I even made an attempt to take it off. I measured it w/ my caliper and it reads just under 35mm and the socket reads exactly 36mm.What the hell is going on?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Slayer23
Just got the blazer in my garage. Got everything ready to change my hubs first thing in the AM and I decided to double check the socket I borrowed to remove the axle nuts. Everything I have read here and every where else says 36mm, but there is no way it will work. It will almost spin around w/out any torque at all and the nut is in perfect shape. I would strip it out in a second if I even made an attempt to take it off. I measured it w/ my caliper and it reads just under 35mm and the socket reads exactly 36mm.What the hell is going on?
Ditto. I almost bought a 36 and couldnt find one.. then found mine and when I checked it on my 99 Brava, it seems to me an extremely sloppy fit. I felt it would still work, but I'd never use an impact on it.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search FTW!
axle nut size...

Read down to a video I posted of the acceptable slop. I have had this socket for years and used it on many s-series on up to full-size trucks. Just used it a few weeks ago to replace the hubs on my '04 Tahoe.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member
wisowebs is on a distinguished road

On my 99 s-10 and this 02 Blazer its a 35.

The 36 fits, but has some extra play. The 35 is a perfect fit which makes getting it off a whole lot easier (does not slip off) as I do it with no air tools.

Good Luck!

Last edited by wisowebs; 10-21-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Beginning Member

I'll give it a shot in the Am and let you know how it works out, but if I Bust my nut, Its your fault. Haha.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wisowebs
On my 99 s-10 and this 02 Blazer its a 35.

The 36 fits, but has some extra play. The 35 is a perfect fit which makes getting it off a whole lot easier (does not slip off) as I do it with no air tools.

Good Luck!
Regardless, the proper socket is 36mm. Because a 35mm fits snug, it doesn't mean it will work for all trucks.

The thread is actually an M24x3. A standard metric hex nut has a width across flats of 36mm to 35mm per ANSI/ASME B18.2.3.1M-1999 (Machinery's Handbook 28th Edition). The next smaller standard metric thread profile is M20x2.5 which has a max width across flats of 33mm. And there are no standard Inch threads with width across flats that match up either.

A 36mm socket will work all the time, every time with absolutely no risk of damaging the nut. That cannot be said for a 35mm socket given the acceptable range of width across flats.

If you get lucky and using a 35mm socket works for you and gives you a little more peace of mind, good for you. Doesn't change facts though.

I use my 36mm socket with an impact, but set torque with a torque wrench. I don't have any problem keeping the larger 36mm socket on properly.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Beginning Member
wisowebs is on a distinguished road

I hear you, 36 would work just fine with the impact, little tougher with the wrench and breaker bar. Not till next year, air tools for this guy.

But on both of my 4.3 Chevys, both sides, the 35 was the fit, not to snug, fit like it should. It may be my sockets, as I agree. At napa we took the new nut off a CV axle and it fit my 36 nice. Bottom line 36 is the factory call, but in my case twice 35 was the right tool for the job!

Anyhow, original poster good luck with the swap, I just did both my hub bearings two nights ago, used the Timkens, and very happy. Had to pb blast the old bearing assembly on passenger side and BFH it a few times, but no issues other than that.. Fun times!

Old 10-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member

Well I just got the first side finished and I still have most of my knuckles. The 36mm did work, but I had to prop up the socket w/ a piece of 2x4 to keep it straight while I torqued it off so it wouldn't slip on me. My compressor went swimming in the flood, so I'm stuck doing everything without the convenience of air tools. So, I went to loosen the axle nut on the other side and it was a little more than finger tight! Can't wait to see what I find behind the wheel.