2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 Blazer Looking for General Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 AM
2009ec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 01 Blazer Looking for General Advice.

Hello my name is Ethan. I just bought a 01 2dr blazer with 70,000 miles. Its the first "nice" car I've ever owned. And Im wanting to know of any maintinance i should do so i get the most out of my blazer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Beginning Member
jayve bass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 01 Blazer Looking for General Advice.

Hi, Ethan. I'm new here, too. We've put about 67K miles on (the wifes) blazer, with some common sense maintanence. Some things you may want to consider.

Periodic oil changes. I use Valvoline fully sythetic 5W-30. The (fully synthetic) oil can go for at least 9K miles...(though I dont go over 6K). The oil filter must be changed more often, though. Change the filter at least every 3K miles. Just unscrew the old filter, partially fill your new filter with new oil, and install the new one. Add the rest of the quart to the engine. This cuts down on the time it takes to fill the new filter after initial startup.This is also a great opportunity to check the undercarriage for any fluid leaks, loose nuts or bolts, ripped boots, etc. Also a good time to grease the front end.....(and u-joint) if needed.

Coolant system flush and inspection. You should perform this once a year. Detatch one of your heater hoses from the firewall. Place a garden hose against the "outlet" and flush your core out. (It's easy to install a T-Kit on your heater hose that will allow you to flush your entire cooling system. Package has good instructions. Replace with fresh coolant and antifreeze. Always be sure to check your protection level to ensure that your coolant wont freeze. Feel the upper and lower radiator hoses for soft spots that like to burst during the middle of summer when you're out in B.F.E. and have no way home!

Fuel system service. I usually run 1 or 2 cans of "seafoam" throughout the year. Keeps injectors clean, and carbon buildup down. Change your fuel filter if you notice that the idle seems to be "missing". Never let your fuel level reach so low thatthe engine dies. Electric fuel pumps burn up fast when they're not pumpin fluid.

Keep an eye on your serpentine belt, and buy a spare for thejack stand well. That way you always have onewith you.

Keep an eye onyour tire pressure.Properly inflating tires can avoid premature wear. A tire can lose 1 p.s.i. for every 10degree drop in temp.

Dont forget to get it muddy once in a while. These things were made to drive off road, and pushed hard, occasionally.