2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 Blazer Lt SES lgt, Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Beginning Member
brettf516 is on a distinguished road
Default 01 Blazer Lt SES lgt, Misfires

2001 Blazer lt 4.3 Service engine light appreared on 100 mile trip, at one point it flashed then stayed on car hestitated internitemtly. Parked car overnight, needed jump in morning. Car started w/jump no SES lgt car ran some what correct. Spoke to mechanic friend said it could be wires or pluggs. Suggested to open it up on highway, did that and the SES light came back on and car misfires again. Didn't change wire and pluggs yet! Moneys tight, just wanna make sure before I attempt a cure. Any suggestions.

THX

Last edited by brettf516; 10-26-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are typical tune up pieces. If you do not know the origin of the parts that are on your truck now, it would be a good idea to replace them as preventative maintenance.

You can check the wires by misting them down with water in the dark with the engine running. You are looking for sparks jumping from the wires to any close by metal.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks man, thats a great and simple method for a light show @ no cost. I'm the second owner and bought it w/40k on it. So I appreciate any help given. Do you know a decent set of wires are for the car and what are the lengths for each plugg. A freind had said unless you buy specific you can get varying lengths. Again thanks you guys are great.

Thx,
brettf516

Old 10-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Get the Belden Premium wires for your application. They are available from Napa and come with a lifetime warranty.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Beginning Member

I Put in starter, plugs and wires, car still runs rough and misfires. service engine light still comes on. Any suggestions what to check. I'm at my wits end. I'm gonna have to rob a bank soon.

Thx to all for your early responses

Old 10-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Cap & Rotor?

Old 10-28-2009, 03:32 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It will probably be a 'misfire' code, but get the SES code(s) read at AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc and let us know what you find.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Beginning Member

I now have the car @ the mech. I'm that desperate and leary coz I've got next to no dough he's pretty cool over 40yrs in the bizz. I'll keep an update and if I find resolve I'll share it. I'm still open to any suggestions.

Thx

Old 10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Beginning Member

Problem solved. needed a distributor, misfire is gone and idles perfect. total w/labor $230. I will meet with him in a few days to give me to the full details.

Thanks to all u guys

Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Beginning Member
MIKE12657 is on a distinguished road

My problem sounds a lot like yours if you get any feedback from mech. Please let me know ,my mech keeps screaming comp. And im not convinced it's the comp.

Thanks mike

Quick Reply: 01 Blazer Lt SES lgt, Misfires