2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 Bravada, Bad Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Acer2428 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 01 Bravada, Bad Vibrations

Hello:

Posting for my Dad. He has an '01 Bravada w/ Smart Track... 75k miles. For a while we've had a strange noise when the wheel is turned, even very slightly, to the left. It's a loud humming noise coupled with a vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel. It only seems to do it when the wheel is pushed left.

Any ideas?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 01 Bravada, Bad Vibrations

My first thought would be wheel bearing on the right side. Jack up the front end and grab the wheel on the top and the bottom and see if there is play by pushing in on the top and pulling out on the bottom. If the wheel bearing is bad, you should be able to feel it move. Another option would be to pull off the brake caliper and hang it from the frame with some wire. Put the wheel back on and spin the tire. Listen for a light grinding noise.

The dealership I bought my Bravada from had to rebuild the whole front axle at 73k miles due to lack of maintenance before I purchased it. I had a cyclic vibration at speeds between 65-75mph interstate speed, but nothing else noticeable at normal road speeds. They first installed new tires to no affect, then begrudgingly rebuild the front axle.

I'm not saying that this is what is wrong with yours. I really think it's a bad wheel bearing and the 'only happens while turning' cues in to that. It will eventually get worse to the point of where you can hear/feel it while going straight.

Give it a good once over and let us know!

Old 03-14-2006, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, sounds like a bad wheel bearing, or it could be a ball joint. The test is the same, almost. For the wheelbearing grab the tire at 12 and 6, for the ball joint/tierods 3 and 9 and look for play in hte ball joint/tierod/idler arm.

If it is the bearing, post up. There is a faster way to change them then what Haynes book recommends. Plus with the faster way you don't need an alignment when your done.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is the status of your vibration? Get it fixed? Let us know!