2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 PM
SL5417 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?

I have a 1997 with the elephant ear power mirrors and I am trying to wire up some new 2000 style power heated mirrors. I am electrically challenged so I had a friend of mine help me try to help figure it out and no luck. I am using the 97 power mirror switch and connectors that I cut off the old mirrors. We figured out which wires control which movements but the problem is I can not figure out how to get both up/down and in/out to both work. I can only one or the other to work but not both at the same time. The problem is one uses 4 wires and the other uses 3 to control movements, but like I said I am electrically challenged, so I hope someone can shed some light on what I need to do to make this work.

2000 power mirror connector
img http://lh4.ggpht.com/_JQnBnTgqNs0/Sb...M/P2200009.JPG

1997 power mirror connector
img http://lh3.ggpht.com/_JQnBnTgqNs0/Sb...0/P3070009.JPG

Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe these connector views should show you what you need to know:

1997 Mirror Switch Connector View:

1999+ Connector View:

Here is the wiring schematic for the 1997 and for the 2000:

1997 Mirror Wiring Schematic:

1999+ Mirror Wiring Schematic:

Hopefully that gives you enough information to figure out what is going on with your present wiring situation. If not, let us know and we will dig into it a bit deeper. I know that others have done this in the past with success.

keywords: 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 power mirror mirrors wiring schematic conversion

Attached Thumbnails 02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?-97_mirror_switch_sc.jpg   02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?-99_mirror_sc.jpg   02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?-1997_mirror_schematic.gif   02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?-2000_mirror_schematic.gif  
Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
SL5417 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks

Thanks Kyle, I will take another look at it and try to get it figured out.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 AM
abourassa is on a distinguished road

i'm trying to do this to my 96 blazer, with heated mirrors off a 99. New mirrors have bigger plug, old mirrors have smaller plug. Non of the wires color match up.
A friend of mine wiring it up thinking he knew what he was doing after looking at the wiring diagram, and up goes down, and down goes up. But left and right go corner to corner.
Does someone know the exact way to wire it up?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the UP/DOWN the only function reversed? Is it reversed on both mirrors?

If you study the schematics and pinouts provided below, you should be able to determine what needs to be switched.

Attached Thumbnails 02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?-96_pwr_mirror_sch.gif  
Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 PM

I only have the drivers side hooked up. Didn't even take apart the passenger side.
I have study'ed the schematics. I have no idea how my friend wired it up. But just from me looking at it I think it should be
Light Blue (old plug) to White (new plug)
Light Green to Light Green.

After that I can't figure anything out. The old mirror plug has a Yellow wire (all moters right, up direction) I have no clue what this is.

Also there's a white wire in the old mirror plug, which isn't labeling on the schematics.

Be nice to find someone who has actually done this before.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 AM

i like how useful this site is. figured it out.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Nice... Good luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 AM
Starting Member
fresno99 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 power mirrors to 99 wiring

connections are different as well as wire colors. Anyone got the wirning
diagram for 98 to 99 power mirrors? Thanks

Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Do any of the schematics above help?

How about this which is for 1998 power mirrors:

Attached Thumbnails 02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?-98_pwr_mirrors.gif  

Quick Reply: 02 Power mirrors on a 97 wiring help?