2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

05 steering shaft removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough
Default 05 steering shaft removal ?

so after my camping trip I figure I need to look at the steering shaft on my 05
Beginning to think that removing the front inner and outer fender might be the best approach

to you guys that have gone there I assume pulling the air box will make it more accessible

I also assume the 05 still uses a rag joint because there is a big plastic cover over the lower end

Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Just curious why do you think you need to look at the steering shaft? No need to pull the fenders to get at it tho just pull your air box and the plastic cover over the rag joint just snaps together. Once in there you can just loosen the bolt that holds the shaft to the box and wiggle/pry it off on that end. And then with some creative bending of your joints you should be able to access the other end for removal as well

Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I did the Flaming River u-joint mod on my '98 Jimmy. The steering shaft was very similar to the 1st gens. It has a rag joint down at the box. Pry the dust shield apart with a screwdriver, remove the 11mm bolt, and slide the shaft off the box.

Yes, the air box needs to be removed. It's a pretty easy job to do. Take off the intake tube and upper box then remove the lower box. I think there's a 10mm nut on the stud at the back of the air box. The rest of the fasteners are all rubber snaps. Just pull up and back and it should come right out.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Easyest/Easiest: Remove LF wheel, disconnect srs fuse, disconect air bag connect from behind left front bumper and lower column impact sensors. You can then access the dust boot for the rag joint by lifting the inner fender mud flap. Some S chassis require separating upper and lower shaft as the hole in the firewall is too small to pull down the tulip joint. The upper half shaft is disconnected fron the column inside the cab and pulled upwards. Not as difficult as written.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:47 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Just curious why do you think you need to look at the steering shaft? No need to pull the fenders to get at it tho just pull your air box and the plastic cover over the rag joint just snaps together. Once in there you can just loosen the bolt that holds the shaft to the box and wiggle/pry it off on that end. And then with some creative bending of your joints you should be able to access the other end for removal as well
everything else is tight but its sloppy at the wheel
truck hauls down the road well but stopped key off the steering wheel will go back and forth really easy quite a bit

doesn't even look like popping off the cover is even possible to inspect without pulling the air box

Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yeah the extra couple minutes removing the air box will save you headache of just trying to get to the rag joint its worth the time.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Worn gear box? If so, it is adjustable, to a certain extent, but the gear box must come out of the vehicle to accurately adjust it. Some people try to adjust it without removing it, but if you tighten the adjustment too tight, it will destroy the sector shaft.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:10 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

In addition to the Flamming River mod, there is a Borgensen/sp?/ replacement that is a shaft with joints. The steering shaft has been a problem on full size GM trucks and SUV's,the Blazer and Jimmy, and also a problem on the Dodge Ram and Jeep products. Esp. the Jeep products with lift kits and big tires. The Jeep folks call it the death wobble.
I was wondering why is there a Ragg joint in the steering shaft? is it to isolate vibration or to prevent the shaft from spearing the driver in a front end collision.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:49 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

The harpoon eliminator is furthur up the shaft inside that yellow rubber thingy. It's got about six inches of telescope before you become the whale.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

The current GM full size trucks have had a loud click or pop in the steering shaft. The dealers, even under warranty, lube the shaft and it goes away---for a while. Of course, it comes back. The shaft needs to be replaced. Sounds like the Blazer has a similar problem.

Quick Reply: 05 steering shaft removal ?