2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

10 second crank to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 PM
huskerinaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 10 second crank to start

I have a 01 with auto 4x4 to start it takes aprox. 10second cranks my truck has 60k

Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 10 second crank to start

Does the cranking speed sound the same as it used to, or does it sound slower?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it sounds slower, I would recommend that you have your battery and charging system checked.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:48 PM

No it cranks over normal just takes a long time to fire up

Old 08-24-2007, 11:17 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the starter or fuel delivery system.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:45 PM

I was told the fuel regulator was probably bad leaking fuel into the system. Where is the regulator?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

FPR failures are not typical on the newer SCFI engines. The FPR is located on the back of the injection spider under the upper intake plenum. I would first verify fuel pressure as well as run a leak down test. Both tests require a fuel pressure gauge which can be purchased from pretty much any autoparts store for $30-$40. Your engine needs 55-60psi to start and shouldn't lose pressure once the key is turned to off. A few psi over 5-10 minutes is typical, but it should never drop to zero. If you wait until the fuel pump cycles before moving from 'RUN' to 'START' with the key, does it start faster? What if you key to 'RUN' for 10 seconds, 'OFF' for 2 seconds, then 'RUN' for another 10 seconds before moving to 'START', does that make a difference? Either of these would indicate that something is allowing the fuel pressure to leak down.

Maybe it could be some carbon gunk on the IAC valve causing it to stick and not open up properly when attempting to start. If you crack the throttle with your foot, will it start faster?

Hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 PM

It seems to help if you crack the throtle. Where is the IAC valve?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Administrator

The IAC valve is located at the back of the throttle body. If you are going to be cleaning things, its best just to remove the throttle body and give it a good cleaning. You don't need to remove the TPS sensor (off one end of the throttle shaft), but the IAC will need to be removed. I use an old tooth brush to clean the different passages in the TB. I will warn you though, the only difficult part of removing the TB is the little plastic clip on the cruise control cable. In my experiences with it, the darn thing just pings off and goes who knows where. Its a pain for sure, but if you're careful, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Ok I cleaned everything, is the IAC vavle stiff? I could move it but it was tough. Anyway cleaned it andthe TB. Still takes quite a few cranks to start.

Quick Reply: 10 second crank to start