2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1994 blazer wont start

Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Beginning Member
detailman is on a distinguished road
Default 1994 blazer wont start

its my second vehicle so i dont drive it as much as i used to but it has always started right up and run fine. it got to where it would drag like the starter was bad or the battery was bad when i started it so i turned the distributer a little bit and got it doing better but someone told me theres a brown wire under the carpet you have to unplug and set the time with a timing light. so i found the plug and unplugged it so i could set the time with a light and it would start and die so i plugged it back up and now it wont start at all i checked and im getting spark at the plug wires and im getting fuel so i thought it was flooded and replaced the plugs and still just whirls over and dont start. any ideas?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What is the 8th character of the VIN? Could be a "Z" or a "W".

Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 AM
Beginning Member

8th character is W i have replaced the fuel pump about a year ago and i also replaced the nut kit when i bought the truck several years ago i have tried spraying starting fluid in there and still nothing im gonna try to get a distributor cap later today they shorted me 1 spark plug yesterday when i got the plugs so i have to go back anyway i am limited to the time i can work on it i have a 6 month old baby i have to take care of during the day while my wife works because i have cancer.and after she gets home i brave the cold to work on it lol.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

First step is check fuel pressure and leakdown. It's quick, free and easy to check. Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running: Pressure must be 55psi to 61psi. Pressure must remain above 50psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Most auto parts stores rent/sell/loan pressure testers.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member

i checked the fuel pressure its stays at 55 for about 15 minutes i replace the cap and rotor but when i did the cap it was dark and the plug wires were coming off so i wound up pulling them all off and attempting to rewire it and sense the new cap dont show where no 1 is i probably got it wrong.it still doesnt try to start i checked the fire with a screwdriver in the no 1 plug wire and it was blue and strong it actually knocked the crap out if me because i was holding the screwdriver next to the hood hing and reached in the window to turn it over. so i dont no what to do now i no i got spark and i no i got fuel just not getting them in time like there supposed to be i guess. i dont know if unplugging that brown plug under the carpet did anything or not i plugged it back up but it still does nothing.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM

Your fuel pressure holding at 55psi for 15 minutes, is good. What is the pressure with the key ON, engine OFF, and the fuel pump running? When you initially turn the key to the ON position, (don't start the engine) the pump will run for ~2 seconds and shut off. Pressure must be tested during the 2 second "pump prime" while the pump is running.

Spark sounds like it's good too. Gave you a little better understanding of the capabilities that HEI has, it packs a pretty good punch, 40,000 + volts!

Here is how the cap should be wired:

The plug behind the carpet needs to be disconnected to check and adjust igniton timing, other than that, it should be plugged in.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 blazer wont start-96older43lfiringorder.jpg  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Beginning Member

ok i rewired it and it fired right up it sounds alot better then it did before accept for now i got to figure where all those vacume lines goes that i knocked off while messing with the cap and wires. i had put some cheap plugs in it a bout 4 or 5 months ago and they are black and gas soaked so i put ac delco back in this time along with the new cap and rotor and i only drove it around a couple blocks a few time since i put the cheap ones in it so i guess they just didnt last.thanks for the help i appreciate it more than you can imagine! just the other day my wifes truck wouldnt start at the grocery store and i had to walk about 6 blocks in the pooring rain carrying a booster pack on my birthday to get the truck home. i was sure wishing i had the blazer running then! now i can go get my next round of chemo next week and not have to worry about no vehicles thanks again!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Beginning Member

oh i was wondering if i should go ahead and try unpluging that wire and setting the time with the light after i get the vacume lines figured out or not maybe i should just leave well enough alone before i mess somethin else up!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Always a good thing to have correct ignition timing

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Beginning Member

after i hooked up the vacuum lines i let it run a little while and it started doing the idle up and down thing and when i drove it down the road it was a little rough when you give it gas like the plugs were fould out again or something and the transmission is not shifting now it will set and idle and run down the road but its not as smooth as it was when it first started and run for the first 4 or 5 minutes or so.and its back to doing the draggy starter again like the battery is dead. it does this after it warms up after it cools down it will start right up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 blazer wont start