2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 4wd dash selector switch replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 AM
russosborne is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 4wd dash selector switch replacement?

Hi.
Just got this today, well technically yesterday now.

It needs the dash switch replaced. The current one is missing the front cover and the buttons. The previous owner used a key to short out the contacts to put it into 4wd.

I am completely new to Blazers. Would a Hayne's Manual cover this? Or is it really basic. I am not afraid to get into the dash, but I would like to have a clue before I start.

Also, anyone have a preference on the brand of switch? Rock auto has one for less than $30(US), I think it is a Dorman. Or should I look for a different brand? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a switch in case it turns out to have other issues.

I did search for this, didn't find anything. Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

You could try a junkyard. If not under $30.00 for a new switch ain't bad. If you don't believe it try pricing some. They're like HIGH!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest a junkyard or eBay as well. You should be able to pick up a switch for well under $30.

There is nothing special about the switches for the NP233 transfer cases. They either work or they don't. You could take a multimeter with you and test it.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 AM

Thanks.

I don't mind buying a new one, in fact that is the preferred option for me. I refuse to use Ebay anymore, so that isn't an option.

If a bunch of you said not to use Dorman, I wouldn't, but otherwise that is a good price. I have priced them at a few other sites, and I told my wife I don't know how RockAuto can be so much cheaper.

Was just wondering if anyone had any hints/suggestions on actually getting the old switch out and putting the new one in?
I will be getting a Haynes manual for this soon, so if it is in there, no problem.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There should be spring clips hold it into the dash. There really shouldn't be much to getting it out of there.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I would suggest a factory book over the Haynes Manual. If you have a Owner's Manual it gives you how to get them in the back. Or here's website that you can order them from. I would get the set. They aren't cheap but worth the money over Haynes (they suck). Especially if you're going to keep it for awhile.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...lected%5Fmedia=

Old 05-05-2010, 02:24 AM

Well, at $130, I won't be getting the factory service manual anytime soon. That is like 1/5 of what I paid for the truck. :-)

There is a circuit board where the switch is supposed to go. Is that NOT part of the switch? Not having seen one before I just assumed that the switch broke apart, and I would have to get that board out. Guess I need to just buy the switch and see what is what.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Starting Member
diablospollo is on a distinguished road

Quick question on this switch: I have a 95 Blazer LS and the 2hi switch is pushed all the way in and it sure sounds like the 4X4 is ingaged based on how it sounds when it takes off, but i'm not sure, so I pulled the switch out and saw that there is the only one wire harness hooked up on the other side of the 4X4 imprint, is this the way the wires should look for this switch?