2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 Blazer MAF/O2 sensor/EGR valve problems

Old 03-24-2006, 08:16 PM
MikeForS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1995 Blazer MAF/O2 sensor/EGR valve problems

If someone would be kind enough to help with troubleshooting this issue, I'd be extremely grateful. I'm trying to assist a friend and I don't access to the Blazer. But here's what I know: The Blazer is the 4.3L 4WD (I think she said Vortec). The gas mileage is down to about 10 MPG. The computer is spitting out the codes for: MAF/O2 sensor/EGR valve errors. From what I understand, ONE O2 sensor was changed (I heard there are more), and the EGR valve was replaced. This did not fix the problem. I don't work on cars much but I have aircraft maintenance background and can follow your instructions or a manual, etc. I'm just looking for a logical flow of troubleshooting for this Blazer so that I can help her out because it's been a problem that no one has been able to help with yet. Any help that you all could give would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike in Ohio

Old 03-25-2006, 04:43 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1995 Blazer MAF/O2 sensor/EGR valve problems

Odds are that the intake needs a good cleaning and this could have been done while the egr was being worked on. I use seafoam (brand name) originally designed for outboard marine engines to keep all kinds of things straight in those 2 stroke Johnsons-evinrudes. Auto part stores usually carry this.

Read instructions carefully. Odds are you have to use the pcv hose to accomplish your intentions. A small funnel will help greatly in you work.

To start with everything else before a thorough cleaning is a heavy investment in new parts that may not be needed. Check and replace all vacuum hoses that are even the sightes bit funny. I'd just replace any I touched if it were mine. 11 years is a long time.

Check ALL plugs to sensors anywhere. looking for bad connections and wires running over sharp edges, close to exhaust and such.

Do all other normal service related things, air cleaner, fuel filter, plugs and wires if they havent been done, ect.

Reset the codes by removing positive in this model, negative in others, so i always say, disconnect the WHOLE BATTERY for a few minutes. Safest way, more right more of the time??

A least by now you might have eleiminated a code or two.