2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 blazer WONT START

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Beginning Member
otto96blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1995 blazer WONT START

My 1995 s10 blazer will not start. i did the fuel pump and sending unit last month, and i checked the fuel pressure and everything is fine. The truck is getting plenty of spark, just did the cap and rotar and all new plugs and wires last month. New starter 3 days ago. Im running out of ideas and getting very frustrated. The truck wont even run when i spray starter fluid, it will just crank over and not catch. Also checked all the fuel lines for leaks and replaced the fuel filter as well. any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks, Steve

Old 01-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1995 blazer WONT START

So is this a 95 or a 96? Your sig and screenname lead to 96, but you state 95 in the post....

Have you verified the fuel pressure does not bleed down?

Have you tested the compression? Have you tested the spark timing? Both would be affected by a jumped timing chain.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Beginning Member

This truck is a 1995, and no i have not done any of the tests that you suggested. How would i check the spark timing?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Timing light.

I would check the compression first. If you do not have proper compression, that would explain the problem. If you have good compression, then move on to checking the spark timing.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you getting a CEL?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

you mentioned 'good' pressure. Is the pump humming at all and what is the initial key on and crank pressure? Jerry

Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point

If the compression and fuel pressure are OK, check the EGR. The early Vortec had a really poor EGR that could stick open due to carbon chunks getting in the pintle. If it's open far enough, it won't start.
Had a high mileage '95. Cleaned the EGR and it ran well. Problem kept coming back. Eventually put a screen in the EGR gasket to keep chunks out. Sold it to a fellow who replaced the motor

Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the input guys, trucks down at the shop now. the guy said he pulled out the fuel filter and a whole bunch of **** came out, so he put a couple cans of dry gas in it, and then took it for a spin and it ran fine, let it sit for a bit, took it again and ran like crap. then he tryed to hook it up to the obd ll reader and it wont connect to the truck, so he thinks the computer might be junk. looks like i find out tomorrow. ill let you guys know how it turns out

Thanks Steve

Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

some older OBDII scanner will not work with the 95 OBDII. The 95 OBDII is in a world of its own. I borrowed a friends scanner it didn't work, I bought my own and It did. Don't ask me why, I was told why once ...lol, but i forget [&o].

Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Some 95s are not really OBD1, but they are not fully OBD2. It depends on the type of scanner used, whether it will read the codes.

Also, check the CIG fuse. If the cigarette lighter fuse is blown, the DLC will not be powered, causing the same problem.

Quick Reply: 1995 blazer WONT START