2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 FPR Check

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:45 PM
megtom2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1995 FPR Check

OK, after getting some p0172 codes and getting a loping idle I decided to take off the parts as described in the DIY post and check out what was going on. Once I found a flashlight the kids hadn't killed the batteries in I found a copper look to the passenger side and a black grimey side on the driver's side. After reading through other posts I am confused.
Is this exactly what I should see when it needs to be replaced or what I should see when it is running properly?
Reading posts I have seen both sides should look the same to one where it said the pass side should look like copper.
Thanks..

Old 10-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1995 FPR Check

Well, lets break this down for you. For a true OBD2 system, P0172 means 'System Too Rich (Bank 1)'. What's interesting with this code is that the '95 really has no way to tell which bank is which... That and the CPI fuel spider has a single injector which feeds all sides equally (when working properly).

Now, it is possible that you have a vacuum or exhaust leak that is affecting the O2 sensor reading.

As far as an internal fuel leak goes, you must first test the fuel pressure and determine if the pressure drops after you turn the key off. If it does, then you have a leak somewhere in the system and the speed at which the pressure drops indicates the size of the leak. Sometimes the leak is enough to actually pool fuel in the lower intake manifold on the passenger side. Sometimes it only drips slightly and cannot be found without pulling the upper plenum off and pressurizing the system (turning the key on), looking for drips forming on the lines and/or fuel pressure regulator.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks. I got tired of waiting for your answer (sorry impatience is one of my faults) and started taking off the plenum. My thoughts were confirmed when I pulled it off. Pass side completely clean with pools of gas and a black driver's side. About to head to AZ to get the FPR and a new plenum gasket.
With this message board I may end up owning this blazer for another 12 years. lol

Old 10-28-2007, 02:44 PM

One quick question anyone who has done this should know. I didn't label the 10 MM bolts but I am guessing the shorter one is the front driver side one. Thought I'd ask that one early.
Thanks again

Old 10-28-2007, 05:08 PM

OK, I have removed the bad FPR but reading the DIY I see the deal about removing a gasket from the injector housing. Does this mean the smaller black gasket that is maybe a half inch or so or the larger one? My old one came out with the larger one but the smaller one is still there. The new one doesn't have one of them. Does this mean it isn't put back in if it is the one meant to be removed? Having trouble since when I tried to replace the FPR with that small gasket still in there I couldn't get it to tighten up all the way.