2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 4.3l huge CAM retard and error codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Eran Kaufman is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 4.3l huge CAM retard and error codes

Hi folks,
This is my first post.
I got a 96 2nd gen blazer and lately i'm having multiple problems.
i got rough idle and hesitation in acceleration, and i feel lack of power too.
i have a bafx OBD ii tool and was using torque pro, which was reading P0172 & P0175, my fuel trims are at the low 30 on both banks at idle and go back near zero on one bank and to around -4 on the other at 2500 RPM, my fuel pressure is not holding so i assumes it's the pressure regulator.so i ordered one and it should be her in few days.
tow days ago ive done another scan and saw P1345 too, looking it up on the web brought me to this site so i started reading about cam retard...
since torque doesn't read PID i installed Dashcommand and got the GM package.
with dashcommand i'm seeing P0340,P0341,P1345,P0172 & P0175, reading the CAM Retard gave me 58.2 degrees!!, how can my engine be running at all? 'i did rev to above 1000 rpm for couple of seconds and it didn't change.
now some months ago i did the intake manifold gasket change, afterwards i did had some issue with setting the distributor, the car didnt start but eventually i got it running. so i probably didn't set it up very good. on the other hand could the sensor just went bad and this is what throwing all the codes? could this also cause the rich condition errors? or these are two unrelated problems?

Tanks
Eran

Old 11-27-2018, 12:03 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Did you forget to plug the cam sensor connector back onto the distributor?

In any case, clear codes and see what comes back.

You can read about any codes that come back here.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...agnosis-26408/
right click on image links in individual code listings and then open them to view.

Ask if you have any questions.

Hope this helps

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-27-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 PM

OMG, man
How did you know?, just went out to look and it was disconnected.
plug it back in and those codes are GONE, stil have very negative fuel trims but this is something else i guess
Thanks!

Old 11-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eran Kaufman
OMG, man
How did you know?, just went out to look and it was disconnected.
plug it back in and those codes are GONE, stil have very negative fuel trims but this is something else i guess
Thanks!
Just took an educated guess because of the p0340, p0341, and p1345 after having the distributor out. Fuel trims may correct after some time. If not, it's leaking fuel into the intake somewhere - possible injector stuck or pressure regulator diaphragm or ???. If it runs decent now - I would just drive it for a bit and re-evaluate fuel trims later.

You will like the Dash Command for your 1996. You can do a lot with it.

Best wishes

Old 11-27-2018, 01:45 PM

I have a FPR on the way as i suspect this is the cause for the rich codes.
As for dash command, is there a recommended setup for my car? one problem with it keeps stopping with an error

Old 11-27-2018, 01:55 PM

I have a FPR on the way as i suspect this is the cause for the rich codes.
As for dash command, is there a recommended setup for my car? one problem with it keeps stopping with an error
Never had a problem with mine. What OBD2 adapter are you using - I think that is much more likely to be the problem. Guess I really don't know if the app is stopping or if the connection to the vehicle is lost.

I always recommend the BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter as sold on Amazon. Mine has been working great for over 4 years and I leave it plugged in all the time, even if I'm not monitoring. It's fast scan rate and reliable IMHO.

As far as recommended setup I'm not sure what you mean. I usually just use the data grid and put whatever PIDs I want to monitor there so I can easily see them all at once without making custom gauges. I do like the Fuel Economy dashboard though.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:04 PM

One more thing - if the FP regulator is leaking, the fuel system will not hold pressure after the initial pulse (key on, engine off). You may want to get a fuel pressure gauge and do the fuel pressure checks in the sticky at the top of the 2nd gen forum to diagnose. FYI 60 psi is not a hard and fast rule in my experience, if the spider assembly has been upgraded to MPFI. All four tests should be done, if it doesn't hold pressure for the indicated time.

Do not block off the return line and turn the key on - all the pressure will probably ruin a good FP regulator - just do the tests in the sticky and eliminate the fuel pump check valve as a reason for pressure drop. If it's OK - then its either an injector or FP regulator.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-27-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
One more thing - if the FP regulator is leaking, the fuel system will not hold pressure after the initial pulse (key on, engine off). You may want to get a fuel pressure gauge and do the fuel pressure checks in the sticky at the top of the 2nd gen forum to diagnose. FYI 60 psi is not a hard and fast rule in my experience, if the spider assembly has been upgraded to MPFI. Otherwise, all tests are indicated.

Do not block off the return line and turn the key on - all the pressure will probably ruin a good FP regulator.
Originally Posted by LesMyer
Never had a problem with mine. What OBD2 adapter are you using - I think that is much more likely to be the problem. Guess I really don't know if the app is stopping or if the connection to the vehicle is lost.

I always recommend the BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter as sold on Amazon. Mine has been working great for over 4 years and I leave it plugged in all the time, even if I'm not monitoring. It's fast scan rate and reliable IMHO.

As far as recommended setup I'm not sure what you mean. I usually just use the data grid and put whatever PIDs I want to monitor there so I can easily see them all at once without making custom gauges. I do like the Fuel Economy dashboard though.
I am using the BAFX adpter, it never crashes with torque.
As for the fuel pressure indeed it's not holding after pulse so that's i ordered the FPR, hope it's this and not one of the poppets

Old 11-27-2018, 02:14 PM

I am using the BAFX adpter, it never crashes with torque.
As for the fuel pressure indeed it's not holding after pulse so that's i ordered the FPR, hope it's this and not one of the poppets
I would recommend either a reinstall or try it on a different device. I'm assuming Android. But I would check with Palmer about your enhanced GM PIDs before doing that. There is a link to their forum and to their email support inside the settings of the app.

Don't forget that the check valve in the fuel pump can also be a cause of this leaking down - but would not cause a rich condition. Just keep it in mind.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-27-2018 at 02:18 PM.