2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 blazer 4.3 starting and running problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Beginning Member
shane caines is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 blazer 4.3 starting and running problem

New to site so please bear with me. Ok so my blazer recently had a fuel leak in the gas tank replaced that since then the vehicle takes about a half hour of cranking and recharging the battery to finally get started then everything is fine idles smooth and takes right off and goes down the road then all of a sudden Bam if i give it too much throttle it just bogs down,spits and sputters like it wants to die but if i give it just a tiny bit of throttle i can keep driving it fine just not too fast check engine light was on i changed the MAP sensor and Coolant temp sensor but problem is still there. someone told me possibly the camshaft or crankshaft sensor might do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Starting Member
Chic_Bowdrie is on a distinguished road

I usually leave advice to the pros, but it's been three days with no response for you. If the check engine light is on, the first step is to read the codes or get them read at a parts shop and post them here. So many things can be at play. Maybe the fuel filter is shot. I had a fuel regulator problem and the help here was awesome.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Beginning Member

Check engine light is on sometimes and sometimes its not i also have been putting a capfull of gas in the throttle body and it starts instantly and idles fine but thats the only way it starts without cranking on it quickly on and off about 100 times

Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Beginning Member

And after its warm it will start on it own everytime but if i remove to air intake cover on top of the throttle body it stalls instantly

Old 12-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Joey1986Z is on a distinguished road

Have your codes checked and post and also get the fuel pressure checked and post results. I'm leaning towards the fuel pump and/or filter. I would go ahead and change the filter. Cheap and probably needs it anyway.

Check your air filter as well since it seems to start with the cover off. Change it if needed.

Last edited by Joey1986Z; 12-13-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Beginning Member

key on fuel pressure is 55 psi running is about 51 psi when I shut engine off key off on time it dropped to about 25 psi in about 15 min another time it went up to almost 65 psi so its kinds fluctuating a bit will do code test this wknd and pull filter of and change then will get back to you on the codes Thank You

Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Starting Member
Chic_Bowdrie is on a distinguished road

Fuel pressure test is key on for a few seconds while fuel pumps up pressure. Don't turn engine on. Pressure should ideally in low 60's. If pressure drops to 25 in 15 minutes, you'll have to trouble shoot to find problem. I had your symptoms and it turned out to be the fuel regulator, but other things can cause the pressure loss.

You can tell from reading the posts here that Captain Hook has helped many of us through this gauntlet.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Beginning Member

Well i went out to start blazer this morn with gas in hrottle body and started up and stalled after a few seconds i noticed fuel pressure was only about 45 then went down to about 38 and then i did it again about 5 min later turned key on engine off was 53 psi after it started and stalled it was back to 40 psi

Old 12-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Key on, engine off, fuel pump running: pressure must be 60psi to 66psi. It must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Your fuel pressure and leakdown readings are both indicating a problem. They tell us there's a problem with the fuel delivery system, but it does not tell what or where the problem is. The next step is find out if the fuel pump is able to provide enough pressure, and hold it. You'll need to do some "creative plumbing" with the fuel pressure tester for this next test.
First you'll need one of these from an auto parts store: Dorman Products - Search Results
The cost is ~$5. Connect it to the fuel filter outlet, (forward end of filter). Here's where you need to get "creative". The fuel pressure tester needs to be connected to the fitting. All fuel pressure and flow must end at the tester, (no pressure or flow allowed to the engine). When the pump is running, pressure must be 73psi to 108psi and it must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. If it passes both parts of the test, the problem is inside the plenum. If it fails one or both parts of the test, the problem is in the tank, most likely the fuel pump needs replacement.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 12-14-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Beginning Member

Thank You for the feedback Captain Hook I will do those tests tomorrow and get back to you on the results

Quick Reply: 1996 blazer 4.3 starting and running problem