2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 blazer abs light on no codes??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM
stangwheeler is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 blazer abs light on no codes??????

I have a 96 blazer that is going for emissions test tomorrow (Ontario, Canada) I know an abs light is not part of the emissions test but would like to resolve this issue. Abs light is on constantly with no abs codes present Mac tools scanner. tried to bleed abs pump no fluid at bleeders on the abs pump. No brake fluid leaks good pedal. It is winter here now and I have no 4 wheel drive with this light on as my truck is awd or auto 4 x 4 . Does anyone have any ideas???????? Thnak you in advance.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

If the light is on there should be a code. Have you tried clearing the code my pulling the - battery terminal?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

My 98 is on all the time with no codes. Put a piece of electrical tape over it and got a sticker

Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You should still be able to shift into 4hi, even though the autotrac might not work. The ABS light being on is likely due to a broken wire between the hub and the frame. You can try to repair the wire, or just replace the hub which will come with a new ABS wire to connect to the plug on the frame.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Yes have disconnected battery over night. No broken wires at either wheel speed sensor or at the vehicle speed sensor in the transfer case. Have replaced right front wheel speed sensor and vehicle speed sensor as well. My blazer has no 4 x 4 buttons or floor shift it is all computer controlled. Was working last winter so I know the 4x4 does work. Any other ideas?????Thanks again all.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

If your using a cheap scanner that won't access body codes the code wont show up.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Brand new Mac Tools scanner???????

Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

Never used a mac tools scanner but I have used a tech 2 and for abs codes its under chassis option. Makes no sense to me why the abs light would be on with no codes being able to read.

Last edited by 05BlackJimmy; 02-26-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

X2 ^ If the ABS light is on, there's at least one DTC in memory, guaranteed! Your Mac scan tool is either not ABS capable, you're not using the ABS menu, or there's something wrong with the scan tool.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 PM

The garage I brought my truck to is a very reputable garage and a friend of the family. I stood beside the tech as he scanned the truck. He was prompted to scan for obd II codes air bag codes or abs codes and he selected abs from the menu. Scanner came up "no codes found". The tech was even puzzled when he saw this. I have brought many vehicles to this garage to be scanned with great success every time. I've called around locally to have it diagnosed and the average quote is for $200.00. I think this is way to expensive to have codes pulled when I know there are none stored........................any suggestions????????????

Quick Reply: 1996 blazer abs light on no codes??????