2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 S-10 blazer slow to start after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 S-10 blazer slow to start after sitting

1996 S-10 Blazer 180,000 miles 4.3 4x4 automatic
If driven daily it starts & runs fine. If it sits for a couple of days or longer it takes several cranks to start.

Today it had been sitting for a week. I had to crank it about 5 times (about 5-10 seconds per crank). When it started it ran rough for a few seconds like it was too rich. Then it ran fine. I shut it off after about a minute. Then started it again a few minutes later and it took about 3 cranks to start. It has never failed to start but seemed to be worse last winter.

New spark plugs and MAP sensor 6,000 miles ago. New fuel pump a couple of years ago. The fuel pump, fuel pump relay and fuel filter have 40,000 miles on them. Air filter is clean.
Other than this it runs fine.
It did have codes P1441 and PO446 about 1,000 miles ago. I cleared the codes and it was driven daily since. The codes have not came back.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-07-2009, 05:09 PM

I went to start it today and it took 5 or 6 cranks before it would start. The last one or two times it fired a time or two but did not start. When it started the Service Engine Soon light was on. I drove it about 5 miles and it ran fine. I pulled the codes and they were Po446, P1100, and Po700. I cleared the codes and drove it home and it ran just fine. When I wen to re-start it after I pulled the codes it started right up.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Help please. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit
P1441 - EVAP System Flow During Non-Purge

I doubt either of these codes are causing your slow start.

What happens if you turn the key on and wait for the fuel pump to prime? Or if you turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to prime and turn off, then turn the key off and repeat one more time?

If that helps, then you likely have a bad FPR (fuel pressure regulator - search on it) or you have a bad check valve in the fuel pump. Either can be confirmed by running a fuel pressure test as described in the Tech Article (DIY) section - have a look at the first post in that section for a summary of all articles posted.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 PM

I put a new fuel filter on a few days ago. The old one did have some dirty gas in it and there was some restriction when I blew through it. I drove it for a couple of days and it seemed better. Friday morning it would not start.
I tried cycling the pump several times before cranking the engine but that did not help.
Friday evening I charged the battery back up as I ran it down in the morning. I pulled the coil wire to check for spark and it was ok. I put the coil wire on and it started??
I ran a fuel pressure test and it had 55 psi with key on and 56 psi with engine running. I shut it off and the pressure slowly went up to 60psi. It did leak down to about 35 psi after about 1/2 hour. I watched it for 5 minutes or so and it only dropped 1 or 2 psi.
I have a 97 Blazer here that starts & runs fine with the same engine. The fuel pressure on the 97 is about 2 psi higher. The 97 seemed to drop pressure at about the same rate.
I did put a new crank position sensor on it and it seemed to hesitate but it started on the first try. That was Sat. morning. I am going to let it sit until Mon. night and see if it starts ok. Even that will not be conclusive if it starts as it has been intermittant.
Except for last winter this last Fri. morn. is the only time it has refused to start.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Beginning Member
jeep44 is on a distinguished road

I had similar problems that turned out to be the distributor cap and rotor.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by jeep44
I had similar problems that turned out to be the distributor cap and rotor.
I can try that as they may be original. However it runs fine with no missing under acceleration. Was hard starting your only problem or did it miss under acceleration?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Beginning Member
jeep44 is on a distinguished road

When I was having trouble with mine, it would crank before it would start, but would run fine once it started. Finally, it got so bad it would not start at all.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 PM
ferrets33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Cranking a lot before turning over

I have a 2002 chev Blazer V6 it has recently started to crank when the ignition is turned on (like it is not going to start) but then it turns over once it is running there is no problem with running/stopping/idling/unknown noises/acceleration. I go approx. 25 miles and then turn it off and it will restart with no problem most of the time but if I leave it sit over 1 hour it will crank a while before turning the engine over. I have had the following tested and no problems were found at this time: battery/fuel system test over 60/plugs/wires/air filter/cap and rotor. I put in fuel injector cleaner in today and drove approx. 30 miles let it sit for 2 hours and it cranked a while before starting except it felt like the engine ‘jumped’ hard when it did turn over. Any suggestions on what I need to check to solve the issue. I get the feeling that it will soon just continue to crank and will not turn over and just strand me somewhere. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Deb

Old 06-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You say that the fuel pressure tests over 60 psi, but what does it do after you turn the key off?

Quick Reply: 1996 S-10 blazer slow to start after sitting