2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1996 starting problems

Old 01-19-2006, 04:07 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1996 starting problems

Some times when I turn the ignition to on I do not get any light on the dash and if I tried to turn it on it will not. I would have to turn the key off and on to make sure the light on the dash turn on and then the truck turns on. Does this happen when it does not want to start?

Old 01-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ivannj, that is a tell-tale sign of an ignition switch problem (key switch). Sooner or later, it just won't do anything.

smplgrn, I'm wondering if you don't have an intermittent bad connection on the fuel pump relay. All that it would take would be alittle bit of corrosion on the trigger line (either 12v+ or ground) and it wouldn't trigger the fuel pump to turn on. I just recently traced a similar problem down to a faulty connection at the fuel pump relay on a '93 Ford E350 moving van. Cleaned out the connectors with a very small set of files that I bought specifically for this purpose and the thing fired to life after sitting for over a year. See the trigger lines for relays are 12v+, but very VERY low amperage because the trigger only has to energize an electro-magnet to pull the contacts on the high amperage side together (that click you hear when a relay switches).

During this cold start problem do you hear your fuel pump whirl to life when you turn on the key?

Old 01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
smplgrn is an unknown quantity at this point

The saga continues

Today I tested the fuel pressure and it was at 50-52 PSI which is to low. I have yet to use the test port to bypass the relay but as soon as the jumper vehicle get on it raises the presure to 60. Sometimes if i cycle the key a few times it raises the pressure to 60 like it should be but this isn't usually the case. I thinking/hopeing probably a bad conection at the relay or pump. i have never had a pump that just weakened a bit, usually it's all or nothing.

What is the big electrical connection block that is located right by the test port for? the previous owner had a cd change powered at this point which I now have disconected.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:02 PM
smplgrn is an unknown quantity at this point

Turned out to be the fuel pump. just not enough pressure