2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1997 Blazer mechanical questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 PM
ScottWV is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 Blazer mechanical questions

Hi everyone!

I have a whole laundy list of things that are wrong or just annoying about my beloved Blazer.

There is a nasty thunping sound coming from under the truck. It happens when I go over a bump or take a sharp curve. The sound is similar to the sound when you bottom out. You can also feel the thumps in the floorboard.

The second thing is the truck won't come up to temp. the teperature guage reads between the 100 and 210 mark and stays there. I have changed the thermostat and all the hoses are hot after running so water is moving through the radiator and heater core. Any ideas?

The anti-lock brakes are out. I have pulled the fuse so it's just power brakes but it seems like it's just tearing through brake pads. I've had the truck for three years and I've changed the pads twice.

One final thing. The gas guage doesn't work. There's also a gas leak coming from the gas tank. The leak doesn't drip to the ground so I'm thinking the gasket where the fuel pickup drops in the tank is the culprit. IS this where the float to operate the gas guage is? Could these two problems be fixed with one time dropping the tank out and replacing everything in the fuel pickup?

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ScottWV
Hi everyone!

I have a whole laundy list of things that are wrong or just annoying about my beloved Blazer.

There is a nasty thunping sound coming from under the truck. It happens when I go over a bump or take a sharp curve. The sound is similar to the sound when you bottom out. You can also feel the thumps in the floorboard.

The second thing is the truck won't come up to temp. the teperature guage reads between the 100 and 210 mark and stays there. I have changed the thermostat and all the hoses are hot after running so water is moving through the radiator and heater core. Any ideas?

The anti-lock brakes are out. I have pulled the fuse so it's just power brakes but it seems like it's just tearing through brake pads. I've had the truck for three years and I've changed the pads twice.

One final thing. The gas guage doesn't work. There's also a gas leak coming from the gas tank. The leak doesn't drip to the ground so I'm thinking the gasket where the fuel pickup drops in the tank is the culprit. IS this where the float to operate the gas guage is? Could these two problems be fixed with one time dropping the tank out and replacing everything in the fuel pickup?

Thanks!
first off the temp is suppose to run 195 at operating temps. which means after the vehicle has had time to warm up. if this is not the case continue reading.well if you've replaced your thermostat and hose its bound to be a few things. first off are you getting good heat out of the vehicle. if your not i would suspect a heatercore problem (most likely plugged up with wrecka-coolant) the gas gauge is most likely the sending unit is bad which depending on the year break the newer blazers were 1 piece pump/sending unit and older ones could be seperated.not sure about the leak.