2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1997 Jimmy No start no crank

Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member
princered72 is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 Jimmy No start no crank

My dad has a 1997 Jimmy 4WD, 4DR. The other day he called and told me the car will not start. No crank nothing from the starter. We charged the battery and even have a charger with a start option. Nothing from the starter. I replaced the starter and nothing. Found there is not any voltage to the solenoid on the starter from the switch. From the battery to the starter we have power. Tried starting it again and it started. A few more times starting it then nothing, no crank, but everything else works.

Could it be an ignition swich, mechanical and / or electrical? I have not tried following the wire from the solenoid to the switch yet to check.
Is there a Starter relay and where is it located? Is there a fuse I can check for? I checked for any codes and nothing.

He has the factory remote to open the doors, could this be causing the problem?

Even tried taking it out of P and back in and nothing. Could it be the park/ neutral switch?

Any other ideas?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:05 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the electronic ignition switch in the column, not the key switch happens a lot to the 97's do a search and you will find that out replace mine twice now

Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Beginning Member

Well I replaced the ignition switch using the Tech tips posted here. Even went through the Passlock relearn. I think I did it correctly, not really sure because I did not see any "Security" on the dash. The car started the first time. Buttoned everything up and no nothing!! Same thing. Gauges, lights, radio but when you turn to start nothing from the starter. Battery was low so we are charging it but not even a click from the starter.

Could the switch have gone bad? Is the passlock causing it? What do I look for on dash when resetting the pass lock. HELP!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

could be neutral safety switch? that can cause a no crank condition or a break in the ignition power to switch on starter.... have you ohmed out the purple ignition wire (at least I think it is if I remember correctly)from under steering column from main switch you replaced to starter (small wire to solenoid)? make sure it's not open or too much resistance, should be under 5ohms

Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member

Check the purple wire to the starter and ok. Checked the red wire from ignition switch to the starter relay and it is ok. Ohms under 5 for both. Check the starter relay and it is ok.
Even took the start off again to have it checked and it is ok. Even hooked up a jumper cable from the negative pole on the battery to the engine block. Nothing, no crank from the starter

Going to check the Neutral safety switch next.

Very frustrating.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by princered72
. Even hooked up a jumper cable from the negative pole on the battery to the engine block. Nothing, no crank from the starter

Very frustrating.

No... the way to jump the starter is use the little wire lead on starter solenoid and jump it to 12v on battery.... that's the same as holding the key down on crank.

How to start: jack up truck enough to be able to use an alligator clipped testing wire to little terminal on that solenoid on starter...at the other end have another alligator clipped wire directly to positive terminal on the battery. Go in drivers seat turn key on....now go back to the pre clipped tester wires and jump the 2 together to crank starter....that should work if truck engine is not seized and battery is fully charged and good.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Starting Member

If it works by jumping it...next check for 12v at the little lead on the solenoid when key is turned to cranking.... make sure there is power there....

Have you tried starting it in neutral or in other gears?...hold brake pedal though...sometimes that'll tell you if it's neutral safety switch or not

Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member

Well I thought we found it. I printed out the troubleshooting guide in the GM manual. Started following this and we came to the conclusion, from the tests, it was the wire to the solenoid. The purple wire at the solenoid was discolored and turned light brown, like it was burnt, up to about 4 inches from the stater. I ran another wire from the solenoid to the starter relay and it started every time. So we spliced in another wire and it worked great. That is until today when they went to go to church. Turned the key and nothing from the starter. Back to the beginning. May try replacing the whole wire now. UGH!!!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:31 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

sorry to bring up an old thread but was there any resolution to this. Im having a similar issue where I thought it was a battery. The issue for me is only happening some times, especially in very cold temps (below 15f)

Old 01-14-2015, 06:27 AM
Beginning Member

We ended up replacing both the electronic ignition switch and the key switch. Not sure why the key switch would do anything but after both it seemed to cure it.

We also did have to replace the battery. Not sure if it was related but left the dome light one day.

Can't give you any further updates as Mom and Dad had an accident with the Jimmy and the insurance company totaled it. No one hurt thank goodness.

Hope this helps.