2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1998 4dr blazer p0300 code of death! grrr.... please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 PM
okgreeaat is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1998 4dr blazer p0300 code of death! grrr.... please help!

Ok so I have been in this forum reading posts over the past week and still cant figure out what to try next with my blazer. This all started about 2 months ago when I decided to put my truck back on the road after sitting in my driveway for close to 3 years. When I 1st started it, it idled fine but as soon as you hit the gas it started skipping. Well I finally saw and heard an arc comming out from the coil pack and replaced it with one from the junkyard on a newer blazer and problem solved. Well since that day all was well I THOUGHT. My truck ran fine but the starting of it seemed to get worse and worse. It started out where you had to crank 2 or 3 times and it would start all the way too about 3 months ago. Now I have to crank it once turn it off wait 5 seconds let the pump turn on then try again. I continued with those 2 steps until it would start to turn over on a few cranks and then finally it would start. Then when winter came it seemed to get alot harder to get it started and sometimes I would end up killing the battery before it would start. Then I read a post on here that talked about turning the key to the on position and then crankinfg it just for a quick second and noticed it sort of helped it start better ( dont know it it was a mental thing or if it truly made a difference.) Well about 2 weeks ago I was on the highway and I had it on cruise control and was going about 70 and it took it self out of cruise control and stutter for a second or 2 and also lost power for a few seconds then I slowed it down and it went back to norm. Then the next week I was going about the same speed on the highway when all of a sudden the same symptoms appeared and I got a blinking service engine light then I slowed down and it seemed to go back to normal. So when I got home I hooked up the ODB II can scanner and got the p0300 code of DEATH grrrr....Well I dont have alot of money and cant just go out and start eliminating all these things and replace them all so I really need to figure this out before I ruin my truck. Today I bought AC Delco spark plugs and am in the proccess of putting them in. The 2 plugs I changed this evening had a much bigger gap then .060 ...more like .070 and have never been replaced on a truck with alot of miles...159000 to be exact. Well im looking for any input from you all and will truly appreciate anyones input. Today I also got a p0171 code on the scanner but then shortly after I found a vacuum hose that came off the air intake hose and went into the driver side fender. Both those ends had came out and I could here the air being sucked into the intake where the hose was suppose to be so I plugged both the ends back in. Was that the cause of the p0171 or is the p0300 and p0171 related? I erased both codes so I guess time will tell. The OBD II scanner I have does tell me live info but I have no Idea what the numbers and percentages mean and if it can help me find the problem. If anyone on here knows what they mean I will definitely go hook it up and write them in the my next message! Please help me! Im very eager to hear back! And once again thank you for taking the time to read all this and help!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM
spittybays

Sounds like a good place for you to start would be a fuel pressure leak down test.
If you don't have one auto zone will let them out the door for a deposit. If your going to keep this truck for any time at all the $40 you will spend at Walmart online for the gage is so worth it.
The leak down goes like this fuel gage hooked up turn the key on push the bleed valve on the gage, this will get some gas up in there so your not compressing air.
Bleed the gage to zero. Then turn the key on, do not start, gage should jump to 61psi then it will go to 60 instantly. After 10min your pressure should not go below 55psi. If it does you have a problem with the pump or injectors. Come back with the numbers and someone here will help with isolating the problem.
Your gap I think should be .060 the sticker by the radiator will say.
Your p0171 lean code is most likely a combo of the vac leak and fuel problem.
Could be other stuff but that's for later.
One word of advise, please don't start throwing parts at it. That will just cost you a ton of scratch.

Just came to me about the buying parts thing, sitting for three years, absolutly need a new fuel filter for sure.

PS. You leave the key on engine off for the entire leak down test. The test port is just to the right of distributor looks like a .38 hollow point with a tire valve in the center and threads on the outside.

Last edited by spittybays; 04-06-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 AM

Ok I will try that test and replace the fuel filter and get back with you. Thanks for the quick response and advice. It is an aftermarket pump so I wouldnt be surprised it is the culprit here, if its not its a good thing to eliminate 1st. Be back soon. Thanks again for the help!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 PM

Well I just wanted to update this and let you all know I have been able to come up with some money and update my vehicle to a 2004 chevy Trailblazer LT 4x4 fully loaded. My old 99 blazer had 160500 miles on it and I feel its shot. Its had its up and downs and has been rebuilt twice and I think it was time to replace it. Im going to try to sell it as is. Was just wondering what you guys think in your opinion I should ask for it. I went on Kellys blue book and entered its info then went through and figured out its condition on there as well and it said its worth 2,200 dollars which is hard for me to believe someone would pay that for it. It has alot of cosmetic burn holes on the seats and the body has its dent scratches and cracks as well. But I included it in the kelly BB figure as well. So any opinions in price id truly appreciate!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Also, spittybays I do appreciate you taking the time to try and help me! Thank you.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

It depends on the area you live in, around here thats about right. Also depends on how fast you want to sell it lol.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:17 PM
tgwt98b is on a distinguished road

I bought my 98 blazer 4x4 with 150k miles for $1500, like mentioned before, I think it all depends on how fast you're looking to sell it. But of course whatever you ask, people will try and talk you down, may not hurt to ask just a little more than what you think it's worth

Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

i know your selling it but have you checked the condition of the cap and rotor?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 PM
spittybays

Is that $2,200. with or without the new fuel pump it needs......

Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Starting Member
lowside is on a distinguished road

new to this site was wondering where to go look im trying to install a tach in a 97 blazer don't know where to start thanks for the help