2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ATF Fluid change to late?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 PM
ABSLT is on a distinguished road
Default ATF Fluid change to late?

So the blazer has just about 95k miles and has never been changed, i know its debated weather or not to change it this late in the game, i would not flush it just drop the pan and replace the filter, and fill it back up, ive herd horror stories of it finishing off a trans from dislodging stuff. Thoughts?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Fluid, filter and gasket is fine, but no flush. Dropping the pan will only take about 5 quarts to refill, roughly half of the entire capacity. You'll get tons of opinions on this subject... I service a fleet of about 10 4L60E transmissions every 36,000 miles. I haven't had a problem with any of them, several are over 200K miles and one of them has over 370K miles.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 PM

Thanks it looks a little tight in there, will the pan drop without having to move the exhaust? Also does any one know where i could find a replacement pan with a drain plug in it?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Dorman 265-811 - Amazon.com - $40.74

That is the deep pan so make sure you get the appropriate filter if you have the short pan.

I've never been a fan of flushing transmissions, especially high mileage transmissions. Sometimes the debris that has settled out into different areas is the only thing keeping the seals in those areas from leaking.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Dorman 265-811 - Amazon.com - $40.74

That is the deep pan so make sure you get the appropriate filter if you have the short pan.

I've never been a fan of flushing transmissions, especially high mileage transmissions. Sometimes the debris that has settled out into different areas is the only thing keeping the seals in those areas from leaking.
When you say flush do you mean flushing or just changing the fluid like i plan on doing? How do i know if i have the short pan or the deep pan?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

I changed my fluid and filter for the first time about 4k miles before it needed to be rebuilt. (96 jimmy ~73k miles when the filter was changed) I don't know if it was ever done before I got the truck and I don't know if it was coincidence, but I'm just sayin...

Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Little Roober
I changed my fluid and filter for the first time about 4k miles before it needed to be rebuilt. (96 jimmy ~73k miles when the filter was changed) I don't know if it was ever done before I got the truck and I don't know if it was coincidence, but I'm just sayin...
Yea thats what im worried about

Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Yea..And it wasn't a flush...just a change and filter. It's actually in the shop right now. Lookin at $1750.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABSLT
When you say flush do you mean flushing or just changing the fluid like i plan on doing? How do i know if i have the short pan or the deep pan?
Have a transmission flushed typically means by using a machine to clear out all of the old fluid, replacing it with new. Often, these machines use an ultrasonic pulse through the lines to loosen junk from inside the transmission during the flush and that can cause more problems than it cures.

If a transmission goes bad after a simple pan drop & filter change (and nothing was damaged during that process), it wasn't going to be functioning long anyway. Typically, people most often try to cure transmission problems by doing a filter change instead of doing a fluid/filter change as preventative maintenance. That very rarely works.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Have a transmission flushed typically means by using a machine to clear out all of the old fluid, replacing it with new. Often, these machines use an ultrasonic pulse through the lines to loosen junk from inside the transmission during the flush and that can cause more problems than it cures.

If a transmission goes bad after a simple pan drop & filter change (and nothing was damaged during that process), it wasn't going to be functioning long anyway. Typically, people most often try to cure transmission problems by doing a filter change instead of doing a fluid/filter change as preventative maintenance. That very rarely works.
Ok so my tranny still shifts through all the gears and so on but the shifts are not really stout, i guess you could say it slips a little before shifting gears, but doesnt seem like failure is going to happen all that soon, so its really a crap shoot to change fluid now or just leave it as it, and just wait till it quits and then keep up on the maintenance, with the new one. So ive got some thinking to do

Quick Reply: ATF Fluid change to late?