2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1998 Blazer will not crank - INTERMITTENT ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 PM
blazer dan is on a distinguished road

My car does the exact same thing as the original poster, had to wonder if you were describing my car and daughter. Did you get it resolved? If so what was the problem???

Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM
SyberTiger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazer dan
My car does the exact same thing as the original poster, had to wonder if you were describing my car and daughter. Did you get it resolved? If so what was the problem???
I'm pretty sure I'm not dating your daughter. She told me her father's name was something other than Blazer Dan.

The problem either resolved itself or is so intermittent at times it hasn't reared its ugly head recently. I'm sure the problem is still there but when it only pops up so rarely it is hard to diagnose. If you find a solution to your daughter's issue please let me know and I will do the same also.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Old 12-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Beginning Member
Jaylo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazer dan
After replacing ignition switch under steering column, blazer starts fine.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Beginning Member
Jaylo is on a distinguished road

After changing ignition switch under steering column, blazer starts fine. I believe that the 1997 blazer electronic module is built in to the ignition switch, that's why I don't have to fool around w the distributor.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 AM

So I have noticed this usually happens when the blazer is hot or if it is really hot outside. At any rate yesterday I replaced the ignition control module next to the ignition coil. It is actually mounted on a heat sink (?), my daughter drove the thing back home and it started fine after her trip. Still not convinced that was the fix just yet, and even though I didn't think it was the problem I replaced the starter relay as well. If the problem continues I will let you know...

Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Bad news the problem is still happening, so I think I'll replace the ignition switch... Hope that's it!

Old 02-10-2017, 03:21 AM
Starting Member
Ajwordy is on a distinguished road
Default Just wanted to chime in...for people like me who were searching for an answer to this

I know that this an old post but I was searching the internet for the same issue that this thread describes EXACTLY. My truck is a 1998 isuzu hombre 4.3l vortec (it's an s-10 basically). My symptoms were random no start, no crank, and occasionaly no "click" from the solenoid.

Here is what I did- dealt with it for a few weeks and then one morning it just wouldnt start... I put a new battery in it because mine was old (I had also replaced the starter relay a few days prior just because) I then called for a tow truck and when he showed up he banged on my starter with a hammer(which I tried myself with no luck)..BUT...when he was hitting it and I was cranking it started!! So....

I decided a new starter was needed (which I bought from a junkyard because I am tired of throwing money at this truck).

Here is where it gets interesting... When I was disconnecting the wires from the starter I noticed that the nuts were pretty loose...hmmmm...really loose, I barely needed a wrench...

So I decided since it was already torn apart Id put the new (used) starter in and I tightened the sh@'t out of them just in case and the truck is running/starting perfectly .

Moral of my story? Check the wires going to the starter and change it if you want... but maybe that is your culprit. Oh, and by the way, I hooked the starter that I pulled out to my jump pack to test it and it ran perfectly..I know thats not a fail safe test but it further solidified my suspicion that the loose wires were the problem.

Check it out before you spend a bunch of money! Hope this helps at least one person😜

Old 09-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Starting Member
varmintjcl is on a distinguished road

recently developed this same starting issue on a 2001 Blazer and quickly learned that moving the tilt steering wheel up and down it will start. Haven't figured out why yet, but just yesterday noticed the brake lights no longer work and seems everyone is ending up with a bad multifunction switch in the column. Don't know if these two can be related or not.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:27 PM
Starting Member
Jesseorr is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone fix this problem

Has anyone figured out this issue I’m an in search of the answer to this problem.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:39 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jesseorr
Has anyone figured out this issue I’m an in search of the answer to this problem.
In six years, I certainly hope they've figured it out.

Quick Reply: 1998 Blazer will not crank - INTERMITTENT ISSUE