2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1998SLS, Attempted Theft, Replacement Steering Column, No Lights on all 3 2/4WD Switches, Stuck LO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
cide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1998SLS, Attempted Theft, Replacement Steering Column, No Lights on all 3 2/4WD Switches, Stuck LO?

Hey, I'm new to the forum

I own a 1998 GMC Jimmy, It has alot of KM's on it! 330,000! Still runs good,
Alot has been replaced. New Transmission, New U-Joints, Shocks, Battery, Radiator, Complete Intake Manifold, and some other things.......

I have been very happy with it, Unfortunatly someone tried to steal it about 2 weeks ago...

They cut the wires on my steering column, And took the bottom cover off. I believe the key-chip prevented the vehicle from being completely stolen.

Insurance decided that it needed an entire new Steering Column, (Also a seperate quote for the damaged door lock and such)

So, Its been in the shop for about a week and a half.
They just called me today to inform me that the Used replacement column went in allright but they had trouble with the computer recognizing the key/ignition or something along those lines, He said they finally resolved that but the shop is now having another problem.

This time it is with the 4X4 Buttons.

All 3 Buttons light up like they should when the vehicle is turned on,
But after they flash up none of them stay lit, and he said it appears as if it is stuck in a lo gear.

He doesn't know off the top of his head what would cause this, So to save the shop time I decided to come to this wealth-of-information site, In an attempt to find out what could be causing this.

I am hoping the damned theif's didn't short anything out, But as of now it looks like the Insurance will be spending more money to fix this,
I just want it fixed right - Before the theft I was considering rebuilding the top end of the engine, And replacing the rear axle bearings (Because I get a ruff-rubbing sort of sound at around 60KM), Basically a rear end job - and keeping this truck going because the body is in good shape. Thats probably why it was attempted to be stolen, Its still shiny and red. But, The damn theif didnt know it had so many KM on it or they wouldnt have tried to steal it off a central/Downtown public street at a city meter!

Any input as to why theres no Light on any of the 3 switches and to why it might be stuck in 2? I Appreciate the timely response, and I will continue to be a active member of this forum!! I love the Jimmy, my second vehicle after a Geo Metro Convertable hahaha.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1998SLS, Attempted Theft, Replacement Steering Column, No Lights on all 3 2/4WD Switches, Stuck LO?

You can follow the information in the DIY post for the OBD2 Non-Automatic Transfer Case Diagnosis which details the procedure for checking codes. If you do not get the lights to illuminate, then I would check the connections at the back of the switch in the dash followed by the connections on the TCCM which is located behind the passenger side kick panel.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Default RE: 1998SLS, Attempted Theft, Replacement Steering Column, No Lights on all 3 2/4WD Switches, Stuck

Allrite,
So the new steering column went in. We verified all the connections of every single wire in the column after thinking the Problems with no lights at all on the 2WD/4WD switches after startup was related to improper column installation.. No go.

The mechanic I am working with believes that since all 3 lights initially light up when ignition is engaged and then go off, That the switch itself is fine and that nothing is wrong with it.

Could this possibly not be the case?

Also, He belives its a Faulty TCCM switch but its not part of the approved insurance quote at this point, So I am wondering what are the chances that swaping the TCCM control or body control would be the culprit?

(These worked fine before the attempted theft...minus the vehicle being stuck in 2WD)

Now, its stuck in 4LO which sucks, Meaning the Transfer Case and all that is switching, but the vehicle automatically switched itself into 4LO and now theres no lights... I would really like a somewhat certain answer before trial and error kicks in.

The auto wreckers said that the TCCM Control modules are basically "Gone as soon as the vehicles come into are yard" meaning they are in high demand.

Is this a good assumption that it is my problem, however indirect it may be to the theft?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Default RE: 1998SLS, Attempted Theft, Replacement Steering Column, No Lights on all 3 2/4WD Switches, Stuck

PS: I can't seem to find that thread you refer to, I was hoping to print it out in hopes it would provide more than the current "All Data" does for us... <3

Thank you in advance! !

Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The thread I speak of is in the Tech Articles (DIY) section. Lots of good articles in there and in the submission section that I have just not had the time to move.

But to make it easier on you... > OBD2 Non-Automatic Transfer Case Diagnostics

Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 PM

So apparantly went through some troubleshooting and it won't give any of the Diagnostic Codes (at all), Since its not throwing any codes as it should be, does that mean the TCCM Module itself needs to be replaced? As far as I know it could be a few different things...

Any hope in narrowing this down so I'm not replacing multiple parts?

Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator

I would start by verifying that the switch is working. Check out the NV233 Troubleshooting guide available from RSGear.com