2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stall and then no starting? Need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Starting Member
Finding DeMo is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Stall and then no starting? Need help ASAP!

Hi my name is Brandon. I recently found this website and hoped to seek assistance/advice in fixing my 2002 four door 4WD Chevy Blazer. Last Wednesday I replaced the battery in the vehicle because the truck would not start. It had been very cold outside and I had not changed the battery since I purchased it so I knew that it needed to be done. After two days of driving, I was driving down the road going about 55 MPH and suddenly the car just stalled and rolled to a stop. I thought that maybe my gas gauge was wrong and I needed fuel. I walked to a close gas station to get gas. I then walked back and filled the truck up. While the the vehicle seemed to turn over and I thought it was trying to start, it never did. The only change I notice about the truck is that now the security light blinks. I do not have a special key with a chip and I have not had any issues with the security for the entire 2 years I have owned it. I realize that my question may be in the wrong location for this topic, and for that I am sorry. I am just ignorant and need to find a solution ASAP. I don't have a ton of money to spend and need a solution that will allow me to get by for a few months. Any and all help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Starting Member
01xtreme_chevy is on a distinguished road

Are you getting any fuel to the motor? Could be a fuel issue...bad fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, fuel filter, etc.

If you are getting fuel to the motor are you getting enough of fire from the plugs? Could be a fire issue...bad plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, ignition coil, etc.

If your battery is good and your alternator is keeping a good charge and your motor is easily rolling over but not starting. Then you got either one of two issues or both: fuel and/or fire.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Starting Member
Finding DeMo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01xtreme_chevy
Are you getting any fuel to the motor? Could be a fuel issue...bad fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, fuel filter, etc.

If you are getting fuel to the motor are you getting enough of fire from the plugs? Could be a fire issue...bad plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, ignition coil, etc.

If your battery is good and your alternator is keeping a good charge and your motor is easily rolling over but not starting. Then you got either one of two issues or both: fuel and/or fire.
Thank you for the help. A buddy of mine that is a mechanic has run some very basic tests and he feels pretty confident that it is not the fuel pump or the firing. Another mechanic told me to take off the battery and wait 30 min. and then pout it back on and I will be ok.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Your vehicle is equipped with Passlock security system. If the security light is blinking, there's a problem with the Passlock system. A fairly common problem is the sensor in the ignition lock cylinder housing. Buy Dorman - OE Solutions Ignition Lock Cylinder Housing With Passlock Sensor 924-713 at Advance Auto Parts If Passlock can not or does not recognize the key, the PCM shuts off the injectors. A scan tool capable of accessing Passlock will find the problem. The el cheapos at the auto parts stores will not do the job, gotta be a high end scan tool.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Joey1986Z is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Your vehicle is equipped with Passlock security system. If the security light is blinking, there's a problem with the Passlock system. A fairly common problem is the sensor in the ignition lock cylinder housing. Buy Dorman - OE Solutions Ignition Lock Cylinder Housing With Passlock Sensor 924-713 at Advance Auto Parts If Passlock can not or does not recognize the key, the PCM shuts off the injectors. A scan tool capable of accessing Passlock will find the problem. The el cheapos at the auto parts stores will not do the job, gotta be a high end scan tool.
Will faulty Passlock cause the vehicle to shutdown whilst running? or only upon starting?

I had a problem with my 1995 Corvette. It would not start. I measured the resistance on the key (523 Ohms) and purchased a package of 5 at Radio Shack for $2. Inserted one in and it starts fine.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Joey1986Z
Will faulty Passlock cause the vehicle to shutdown whilst running? or only upon starting?

I had a problem with my 1995 Corvette. It would not start. I measured the resistance on the key (523 Ohms) and purchased a package of 5 at Radio Shack for $2. Inserted one in and it starts fine.
Usually Passlock will allow the start and then immediately stall. Hard to say what the problem is until it's scanned, but it does have the ability to disable the injectors. The blinking light confirms there is a problem somewhere in the system.

Your 95 Corvette had a variation of Passkey or VATS, totally different systems from Passlock. Your key had a resistor built into it that the system would measure before allowing or disallowing a start. Same end result as Passlock, but using 19 year old technology. As you found out, it's simple to "fool" Passkey and VATS. Not so simple to "fool" Passlock.